Birthday Trip

March 24, 2017.

Twenty six - Taylor

Taylor had spent the last hour and a half making a creamy pasta that, unlike last time she had tried to cook for Emma, was turning out quite well. There were no cream cheese footprints on the floor, the bubbling sauce actually tasted decent, and she was wearing a black sundress rather than cat pajama pants. This time when Emma showed up at her door everything would be absolutely perfect.

The sound of the door opening and footsteps wasn't what alerted Taylor to Emma's presence, the feeling of small arms wrapping around her waist did. "That smells really good, Tay, much better than the last time you tried to cook." Taylor turned around and held the wooden spoon out to Emma, who licked some of the sauce off of it and watched as Taylor made a disgusted face. "Don't give me that look. Out of all the gross things I've done with my tongue I think the sauce is the least of them."

"I don't even get a hello before you go to the dirty jokes?"

Emma smiled and shook her head. "Sorry, you just look really pretty in that dress. When I think happiness, I will definitely think of that little black dress."

"Don't quote my lyrics to me."

"Why not?" Emma asked innocently, taking the spoon from her and stirring the pasta in the boiling water.

"Because I don't want to relive my embarrassing teenage years. Sit down. I'm cooking." Taylor swiped the spoon from her hands and waved it in the air before returning it to the pot.

"If you're going to hit me with it, I would prefer you use a clean one."

Taylor was taken aback for a moment, confused why Emma thought that was something she would do, until it hit her what Emma actually meant. "Dear god, Emma, can we please just eat dinner without the sexual innuendos?"

"If you want. You're the only person I know who calls it sexual innuendos. Are you sure you're not my Nan in disguise?"

"If I'm the only one who calls it that, how many people do you tell those things to?" Taylor raised both eyebrows as she turned off the burner.

Emma smiled and held up four fingers, putting them down one by one as she listed people. "Let's see, there was a girl from the bar. Does it count as two if I said them to her on multiple occasions? Nevermind, that's only one. And then there was Marcus and Natalie, just some friends from college, nothing to worry about. I think Livy was the other one, but I could be way off on the name."

"Four?" Taylor was almost one hundred percent sure that Emma was just trying to get under her skin, but Emma said it as seriously as if she was telling someone their childhood pet had passed.

"I did have thirteen days to myself. My Nan always said the best way to get over someone is to get under someone else, I had to take her advice to heart." Taylor groaned and sat down next to Emma at the kitchen table, sitting a plate down in front of each of them. "I'm joking, only you. Even when you were a dumbass and it was only me." She muttered something else at the end but Taylor couldn't make out the words.

She wanted to apologize after Emma had said that, but she also wanted to avoid the mouthful she would get from Emma if she did, so she made a joke out of it instead. "Maybe I should change it to promiscuous innuendos."

"Do you actually think your lyrics from when you were a teenager are embarrassing? I'm almost a hundred percent sure that there's a video of me singing one of them that I put on Youtube when I was fourteen. That's embarrassing. The song isn't."

"Oh my god, I absolutely need to see that video. Do you have it?"

Emma shook her head and took a big bite of the pasta, chewing it thoroughly before saying anything else on the subject. "I'm sure it's still up, you can find it yourself."