Meeting Amanda

January 2, 2017.

Fourteen - Emma

Emma had woken up at the crack of dawn, anxious about Amanda's arrival. They had been close since the summer before their freshman year of college. Emma never had a problem sharing things like this with her, until now. The past week has been perfect. It was just her and Taylor, trapped inside a bubble of bliss, with no one near to give their opinions.

The doorknob turned and Emma bolted off the couch. Amanda walked in and sat her suitcase by the couch. "Hey, how was your holiday?"

"Oh forget that. What have you been up to?" Amanda sat on one of the kitchen chairs and smiled sweetly at her.

Emma tried her best to avoid the subject. "I spent the holidays with my mum in London. It was so lovely, I really needed to go back. I missed her loads."

"Emma, darling, that's not what I meant and you know it." Amanda raised her eyebrows. "Who'd you shag on new year's? Is he coming over tonight? You said we would have dinner." Amanda laughed when she said shag. She was from the west coast and had never used the word before she met Emma. Now it was almost an inside joke between them, something born from the morning after too many college parties.

"I didn't shag anybody, let's set that straight. I just slept over. Her name is Taylor actually."

"Oh finally." Emma raised her eyebrows. "I just mean it's about time you brought home a girl for real and stopped pretending like they were just friends that you only saw for a night."

She had never specifically told Amanda she was gay. She hadn't actually told anyone except for her mum. "You knew?" Emma wasn't surprised that she knew, she was surprised that she never said anything. Emma could recall at least two nights where she had brought home a girl and tried to play it off as an innocent friendly gathering.

Amanda nodded. "Yes, you weren't fooling anyone Em. Plus I walked in on you and... oh what was her name? Kayla... or maybe it was Layla. You were both really drunk, I didn't want to embarrass you if you didn't remember it. You could have told me."

"I never told anyone other than my mum. I never really found the right time to tell you I suppose."

"It's okay Emma, you don't owe me an explanation. Tell me about her. Is it someone I know?"

"Taylor's so wonderful. She's so kind and absolutely stunning. I met her a couple months ago. She actually came to London a couple weeks ago and I really like her, she makes me so happy." Emma's face lit up at the chance to talk about her girlfriend.

"I can't wait to meet her. You stayed over?"

Emma nodded, understanding what she meant. "I did, it went really well. She makes me feel so safe. I... uh... I told her about James."

"Really? That's great Em, I'm so proud of you. You should be proud of yourself too, I know it wasn't easy for you." Amanda stood up and walked over to Emma, hugging her tight. "Now I really can't wait to meet her."

Amanda took her bag to her bedroom, presumably to start unpacking. Emma looked through the cabinets, trying to find something suitable for dinner and praying she wouldn't have to go to the grocery store. She had never really been a good cook and she wasn't really sure why she offered to cook tonight. The cabinets and fridge were mostly empty, save the few things she grabbed from the grocery a couple days ago.

They had enough eggs and flour to make pasta. If there was one thing Emma knew how to make it was pasta, she was a whore for anything Italian. The only problem was they didn't have any sauce.

Emma hollered at Amanda from the kitchen. "Can you run to the grocery and grab some alfredo sauce? Or pesto. Actually, can you get both? I'm making pasta."