Eavesdropping

TW: Emma's dad 

January 25, 2017.

Twenty - Taylor

Taylor's plane landed in London almost two hours ago. The meeting had gone well, her label agreed to give her time to let everything die down. She was feeling really good actually. She saw her parents and finished writing a song while she was back home. The trip went better than she had thought it would. The only problem was that she couldn't find Emma. Emma wasn't at the airport and she hadn't been at the home they shared either. She wasn't answering Taylors calls.

Taylor ended up calling Emma's mom to ask if she was at her place and, to Taylor's surprise, she was. Taylor was standing inside the garage by the door to the kitchen. Evelyn had told her to come on in whenever she got there, but she still was scared to walk in. She hesitantly twisted the knob and walked inside the kitchen.

Emma wasn't within her line of sight, but she was definitely within earshot. Emma was talking to someone, her dad maybe, and she was upset. Her voice wasn't raised but her words showed a slew of emotions that Emma usually tried to keep hidden. "No, dad, I won't apologize to you. You don't deserve my apology. You don't matter to me anymore, my life will not change whether you're in it or not."

"I don't know what I've done to make you hate me Emmybug." Her fathers voice sounded pained. Against her better judgment, Taylor stayed in the kitchen to listen to the conversation.

"Don't play that game with me."

"Emma, I really don't. You know how much I love you."

Emma let out a strained laugh and probably threw her hands up in the air. Taylor couldn't see her, but she knew her mannerisms well enough. "Are you really going to make me say it? You were awful to me and mum. You picked fights all the time..."

He cut her off. "Emma, everyone fights."

"Yes, they do, but do you see how I'm not throwing things at you or hitting you? I'm stronger than you, I could, but I don't. Fights aren't supposed to be physical."

"Oh please, grow up and be a bigger person. Don't you dare act like me hitting you once as a child has hurt you this much."

Taylors heart hurt when he said that. Emma had never talked about her father and Taylor was starting to understand why. Emma didn't say anything for a minute, but the silence spoke volumes. "I've always been the bigger person, even when you were three feet taller than me. You're right though, the once I could make an excuse for. It was after four or five years that I stopped being able to justify what you'd done. "

"Don't be dramatic Emma."

"And yes, it does hurt me this much. I have nightmares because of you. I can barely trust people because of you. I'm scared all the damn time and it's all because of you. You made me feel like I was never good enough. You are the reason that I stayed with an abusive asshole for more than two years!"

"I really don't see how I'm responsible for any of those, especially not the last one. If you want to be a whore then that's the type you'll attract. You'll understand everything when you have a kid one day. You don't understand the sacrifices I made for you."

Taylor's blood was boiling listening to him talk to her like this. Emma sounded like she was about to cry, but Taylor knew she wouldn't. Not here, probably not even at home if Taylor was there.

"No, you don't understand. I grew up with you teaching me that love equates to violence. You did that. Of course I never questioned it when my first serious boyfriend treated me the same way you did! And no, I won't understand when I have a kid. I would never treat a child the way you treated me, and neither would whoever I end up being with. I'm stronger than I used to be, daddy. I can fight back now and no one will ever treat me or my children like you and James did."