Episode 6 - Still Spells the Pain

“Hello, Pio!” I cheerfully uttered after answering his Messenger voice call.

I’m holding a cup of coffee while facing the city with the buildings covered with twinkling lights in my balcony, it’s already 7:00 in the evening here in San Clemente. The moon shines vivaciously as the stars contributes on the light it produces through the night. Still feeling the air-like salt, my body shriveled feeling the warm breeze.

“Hello, Dace! Oh, my God! I thought that you already forgot about me!” I heard Pio’s voice on the other line, also filled with excitement and bliss as he speaks with pure delight.

“I’ve only been gone for a week, you’re so fucking dramatic, Pio.” I laughed sarcastically as I drank the coffee I made.

I was just chatting him on Messenger that he decided to call me via voice call, he said that he wasn’t able to do a video chat because his mobile data wasn’t enough for that so I just granted his request.

I retaliate and sat on the nearby bench, still feeling the warm breeze and the night life of the city of San Clemente. The sound of the motorcycles, cars, trucks, it can be heard from here even though I’m already high above the road.

I mixed my coffee using a small teaspoon placed on a saucer, I then drank my coffee once again waiting for his response. I heard Pio laughing from the other line so he must’ve felt amused of what I’ve said. I was right, though. He’s being over dramatic on our separation.

“Very funny, Dace! Way off to greet someone who really misses you.” I can sense him pouting, so I just chuckled in an instant relief. How lighthearted of him to miss me.

“How sweet of you for missing me, I miss you, too. As you know, Pio... San Clemente feels like a dream until now, it’s only been a week but I’m already living the best life here.” I uttered genuinely as I sip my coffee.

“Your aunt was way better than your actual parents, the damn hell! If it weren’t for her, you’ll still be here in Sabani, a damsel in distress. I knew all of this thanks to my mother who’s the fastest working Marites in our barangay.” He laughed once again and so did I.

I never imagined how painful it is to be far away from your bestfriend, it wasn’t until today that I realized the value of the memories we spent together when we’re both in highschool. We got each other’s back, and we promised to keep the fire ignited inside us.

“You got it, Pio. But there’s something bugging me throughout the week that surely changed the way I face my everyday life here. There’s someone, Pio...” I heaved a sigh, only to be screamed out loud by him.

I almost threw my phone out of the balcony because of how loud his scream was. But no, I would not throw the heck out of it because it’s the only phone I’ve been using. I have to save up for my future needs and wants, I got a tight budget.

“What the fuck, Pio! Could you atleast stop goofing around for once? I’m being dead serious here updating you about what’s going on!” I rolled my eyes, I haven’t heard a response and soon heard a chuckle.

“Kidding aside, is it a new ‘boyet’?” He exclaimed so I took off the chance to ruin the excitement.

“No, Pio... it’s someone we both utterly know in highschool. Someone that I adored for a long time and ended up loosing against my battles. You who he is.” I left out a breath and again sipped from the cup of the coffee I’m drinking.