Episode 9 - Just Wait and see!

“Teaching profession has been established to be not a job but a calling, a mission and a form of great service. Teaching has become very complex and demanding of the teacher’s knowledge, skills, and values needed for their duties and responsibilities for the 21st century teaching...” My professor in The Teaching Profession, Miss Edna Medalia speaks to the class.

I listened carefully because she was believed to be a terror professor, I can sense it to her aura that I believe to be causing this unknown fight of emotions within me. I’m kind of nervous to face her but I must, it was therefore I focus on the topic because she randomly picks someone to grade  for recitation.

“Teachers must have global skills in ensuring high quality education skills and career preparedness for all young people. Teachers mustn’t only be knowledgeable, competent, and skillful, but also behavior and multi-culture specialists to be able to apply differentiated instruction and understand diverse learning needs.” She points out.

“Mister Beltran, in your own understanding, what is a teacher?” Here she goes, Miss Edna being the terror one again. She has the fucking reputation!

Beltran answers her, but she was not satisfied so she called someone else, and it was Arjim. I noticed the boy on my side standing up with a bright smile on his face and he explained his understanding of the topic. Arjim is really good at this, to be honest. There wasn’t a single recitation he failed of answering either blanked of wrong.

“The teaching profession entails on more than just teaching itself, for a teacher establishes a part of his or her student’s life. He or she is a parent, Miss Medalia.” Arjim smiles to her.

“The teaching profession explains the idea, therefore I wanted to connect it. A teacher is someone who is goal-oriented, he or she is someone who can take the burden of many—particularly, his or her students. A teacher establishes someone’s dreams, and he or she helps someone to achieve it.” He confidently presided the topic.

“That’s how you answer. Don’t give me clichés, this one is the definition of an answer. You may sit now, Mister Novicio.” Miss Edna nodded at Arjim and she smiled, Arjim sits confidently and eyed by our blockmates for his perfect answer.

Ayos?” He asked me in his dialect, which means is it okay?’ and with a grin and a thumbs up. I nodded and also smiled.

Thankfully, I wasn’t called to answer that day. That was my last class for the day and it was only three in the afternoon. I have no assignments in particular, so I have a time off. I went to the restroom to change clothes since I always bring some semi-formal ones with me incase something happens.

I wore my red polo shirt and went out of the rest room. I’m planning to explore the city even more, what’s to life if I only stay in my dorm and not doing anything? I called Tita Eve to let her know that I’m taking an afternoon off, I dialed her number since she’s not active on her SocMeds.

“Hello, Dace? What is it, my dearest?” I heard her calming voice in the other line. I continued with my main agenda.

“Tita, is it alright if I explore the city? I’ve had my last class by now and I have no assignments to do back at the dorm. Is it okay?” I asked her.

“It’s fine, just be home be home before 9:00 and we’re good. You need to wake up early for tomorrow, you have 7:30 a.m. classes.” I smiled, I then proceeded to thank her for her kindness.