Chapter 6: Allies

Few hours later i watched sunset from the back of Vermithor. The scales of my dragon shimmered delightfully in the light of the sun. He looked like he was part of the sunset. Caraxes flying nearby was close to it but not so.

I looked around meeting Daemon's gaze. During my lunch he tried to ask me about life in the free cities, but I didn’t answer anything. After i finished eating, i gave the empty tray to him and quickly escorted him out of my chambers.

He seemed too annoying for the uninterested, which didn't please me. But if he is really not passionate, then there is only one option left. And Daemon is a complete idiot if he thinks to get support from the free cities. Rulers would rather watch with pleasure as Westeros rot in its own intrigues.

Here I thought. It seems the process has already begun. The war in the Stepstones is gaining momentum. I heard about this when i was collecting information about Westeros, but then i wasn't at all interested in it.

Now it seems clear why lord Corlys called us. The king refused to attach importance to the fact that his fleet will suffer in this. May already be suffering. Interestingly, Daemon deliberately kept silent about this or i in vain perceive his stupidity as a manipulation.

An unpleasant thought strikes me and i almost grimac. I started thinking too much about Daemon. Something needs to be changed.

I see the alleged Driftmark castle ahead and wonder how it's equipped inside. Caraxes flies down and i tell Vermithor to land too.

The ground trembles as dragons land almost simultaneously. I unfasten the straps holding me in the saddle and start dismounting. Touching the ground with my feet, i turn to Vermithor.

"If I'm not back before dawn, destroy this castle and burn anyone who interferes" i said on High Valyrian.

My dragon presses lightly against my arm and I have to step back to avoid falling. We don't stand in this pleasant silence for long. Suddenly Vermithor raises its head growling at something behind me.

"Don't always have to be so harsh" Daemon seemed to be talking from afar, not daring to approach.

I turned around. Caraxes remained in the distance behind my cousin. I looked at his suit because i didn't get that opportunity when we was on Dragonstone. I wish to have the one like this.

In the suit in which i flew now it was certainly more comfortable than in a dress, but it wasn't intended for long flights. His one probably didn't rub as much and looked more stretchy.

I heard Daеmon chuckle. I looked up from looking at the inserts on his suit. "If you want me to undress you can just ask"

"I don't think this suit will fit me." i said without thinking that he can't read minds.

Surprise flashed across Daemon's face. For a few seconds he looked at me with the most amusing surprised face. When he came to his senses a smirk blossomed on his face with renewed vigor.

"You want my flying suit?" Daemon asked.

"Would you prefer me to want your dick?" i started to get annoyed. I don't usually get pissed off at a little joke, but it seems like the interactions with the relatives were out of the ordinary.

I moved towards the castle to end this conversation. Daemon appeared in front of me blocking the way. He extended his hand to me and i arched my eyebrow. No. That's weird.

"Come on" he raised his hand a little higher urging me. "Did you want to build family relationships?"

Oh yes, i really wanted to. With the heiress to the Iron Throne and the king. I tried again to bypass him.

This time he didn't stop me. But i hadn't gone a few steps on the way to dinner when he spoke. "What if i order to get you such a suit?"

I stopped. Slowly turning around, i stumbled upon the smiling Daemon's face. "Do you want it?" he said. Maybe he interested me.

"Who will you order?" i said taking a step towards him. "Your soldiers? Or fishermen?"

He chuckled. "I have a loyal people in King's Landing"

I imagined how comfortable this suit would be if he really got it. And how insignificant it will be to hold hands for a couple of minutes. Thanks to my runaway mother for my reputation will never be cleared. I benefited more from an alliance with Daemon.

I exhaled inwardly. Just pretend that i don't care about his irrational behavior. "If you deceived me, I will make toothpicks out of your bones for Vermithor"

I moved forward and put my hand into his hand. He twisted his lips like a whistle.

"Grave woman" he whispered. Loud enough for me to hear.

I didn’t quite understand Daemon Targaryen. And the more time i spent with him, the less i could explain his actions. I wanted to slap him and at the same time sit by fireplace in the evenings with a glass of wine and a conversation.

Daemon was a good conversationalist.  It's explainable, he had a royal education. But he also behaved like a child, which confused me. Saera said that most men are children, but i didn’t think that it should be taken so literally.

My hand was on one of his elbows as if we were walking together as we approached the castle. We were greeted by two guards. One of whom looked like he was ready to kick his pants at the sight of us. And the other had an emotional similarity to a stone.

I was amused by such a comparison and i smirked a little. Daemon pulled my hand forcing me to come a little closer.

"What made you laugh so much, cousin?" he said softly at my ear.

I pushed my head back, continuing to walk just as close. Daemon smiled at me, his eyes laughed. As if he was having fun like never before putting on performances. I mentally emphasized this trait of his character.

"Your desire to make us look like a loving couple" i said.

He chuckled again and then feigned surprise. "What are you talking about?"

I arched my eyebrow. He copied this movement. I just sighed and shook my head. We didn't talk to the hall with Lord Corlys. And honestly, i felt like my patience for today was defeated by his perseverance.