Chapter 7: Waves don't come without a storm

Leading us along the long corridors, the guards dodged. Not too much, but i'm more than sure that there is a way shorter than the one we went. Besides, this is how prisoners are led. Maybe Daemon and i are now in a difficult relationship with the king, but this is clearly disrespectful.

I was wondering how the suspicious and arrogant side of Daemon would take it. I don't care about lord Corlys's tricks, i have nothing to lose anyway. But he has a lot.

We suddenly stopped in front of the doors and one of the guards knocked. I try to remove my hand from Daemon's elbow but he still holds it. I roll my eyes. Seems like his main occupation today to be a jester.

I looked at the wooden seahorses on the door and the light stone that seemed blue in this light. A firm male voice came from the room, allowing us to enter.

Daemon and i go into a room with a lit fireplace and a table with three appliances. Corlys Velaryon sits at the head of the table looking at us. More precisely, on our hands. I lower my hand and go to the place to the left of lord of Driftmark, opposite the fireplace.

I slowly move my chair and sit down. Daemon comes to his seat across from me just in time.

"Will you introduce us, cousin?" i asked him.

Daemon looks at me with a slight disbelief, sinking into a chair. I raise my eyebrows. It was you who put us in an awkward position on the part of  lord Corlys. So you have to fix it.

He smiles tightly at me and looks at the lord.

"Lord Velaryon, let me introduce you to my cousin lady Alysanne Targaryen" then Daemon quickly turns to me. "Alysanne, it's lord Corlys Velaryon"

Corlys smiles slightly. His gaze darts between me and Daemon for a couple of seconds, but then it stops. "I'm glad to finally meet you, lady Alysanne" he smiles kindly.

"It's mutual, lord Corlys" i said like this meeting is important for me. I'm almost talking about the topic of the visit when Daemon interrupts me.

"We are here and we know each other" he said folding hands on the table. "So what would you like to discuss?"

I'm looking at dinner. And honestly, i would prefer to brighten up this incomprehensible meeting with food. And looks like it's not just me.

"What about discussing it over dinner?" lord Velaryon moves his hand slightly towards the dishes. 

Daemon doesn't move at all and probably this should induce uncertainty. But i pretend that i don’t see this and smile at the lord. "Great idea" i say and reach for one of the dishes.

I cut the meat and vegetables into small pieces on my plate and start eating. Lord Corlys also puts something on himself. But Daemon only sips wine. Of course, he all so businesslike.

After a couple of minutes of silence, Corlys puts down his instruments and starts talking. I look at him and raise a cup to my lips.

"You know that House Velaryon origins reach back to Old Valyria. More ancient even than House Targaryen according to some text" the wine is surprisingly sweet taste spreads in my mouth. I love the history, but i feel this lesson would be too long. "But unlike the Targaryens, we were no dragonlords. For centuries, my house had to scratch out an existence from the sea with grit and luck"

I lean back in my chair without taking my eyes off lord Velaryon. I still don’t quite understand how he will bring this topic to war. Unless of course i made a mistake with the topic of the visit.

"When i ascended the Driftwood Throne i knew what i wanted. So i went out and seized it" he turned his head to the fireplace. "Unlike every other lord of the realm, i can say that i built my house's high seat with the straight of my own back. I always thought of you, Daemon, and i having been made from the same cloth. And now i think the same about you, Alysanne, too"

"I wasn't aware you had a king for a brother" Daemon suddenly said.

Lord Corlys brushes his comment past his ego and continues.

"We're all people who have had to cut our own way through the world. We've been passed over too often"

Daemon tilts his head to the side, running his hand over the glass of wine. "Did you call us to Driftmark to remind me of my low standing, lord Corlys, or was there some other reason?"

I internally smirk watching their unleashed dispute. The temperament of men amuses me most of the time and this time is no exception.

"You've heard of the troubles in the Stepstones?" Corlys asked.

Daemon turns to me, raising his eyebrows questioningly. I don't understand why he still thinks that i don't know anything about the current situation in Westeros. Lord Corlys is also looking at me intently.

I roll my eyes. "Some Myrish prince is feeding Westeros' sailors to the crubs"

"I have been petitioning the king to send my navy into the territory" Corlys said. "But he's denied me"

Daemon stands up with his cup and moves close to fireplace. He looks at the flame and even though i can see only one third of his face, i see his thoughtful expression.

"It was never my brother's strongest trait" he said.

Lord Velaryon frowns uncomprehendingly. "What?"

"Being king" i said. Daemon turns around, i see a fleeting slight surprise on his face. After which he grins and nods. Lord Corlys clasps his hands.

"The Crabfeeder is backed by powerful entities within th Free Cities who wish to see Westeros weakened. And the King's failures have allowed him to accumulate strength" he purses his lips. "If i those shipping lines fall my house will be crippled. And i will not have Driftmark beggared while our King idles himself with feasts, balls and tourneys..."

"I will speak of my brother as i wish" Daemon turns his head slightly, glaring at Corlys with an icy gaze. "You will not"

Daemon keeps staring at Corlys until he nods. "Waiting in th Stepstones is a chance for you both to prove your worth to any who might yet doubt it"

Daemon squints at Lord Velaryon.

Corlys leans closer to him continuing. "We are the realm's second sons, Daemon. Our worth is not given. It must be made"

I laugh inside. It looks like someone believed that Damon is in charge here. I haven't decided whether i like it or not.

Daemon comes back to the table and looks at me. I raise my eyebrow.

"Second daughter?" he jested.

I chuckled. "Don't be an idiot. Just daughter"