Chapter 10: Mirrors

I'm sure the wind turned my hair into something truly terrible. Long flights aren't good for my hair, but i have to sacrifice something. Yesterday i was able to sleep in a normal bed for the first time in a long time. And suddenly the nature of my nightmares changed. I spent the whole night cutting my beautiful curls to the length that Daemon now has.

I felt sick just thinking about it. I don't really care about most things. And i would actually kill for my hair. After war it sounds different for me, but it's still true.

I watch as Caraxes flies down towards the ship sailing into the King's Landing and almost hits it. He dodges at the last moment and flies up again. Daemon is having fun, it seems.

Caraxes is approaching my dragon. Daemon in the saddle winks at me with smile. I roll my eyes. Vermithor makes a roar that sounds suspiciously like a snort. We're similar in our feelings for this dramatic duet.

Caraxes circles around my dragon. I hear Daemon laugh as he flies around Vermithor from all sides as if flirting. I lean towards my dragon.

"Dracarys" i said quietly.

Vermithor growls encouragingly, releases flames from his mouth and then sharply descends. Caraxes, hooked on our tail, does not have time to dodge and flies straight into a cloud of smoke and fire.

I laugh. Turning around i see Daemon's face in soot and it makes me have fun even more. The smile doesn't leave my face until i land near the Dragonpit.

I leave Vermithor in the meadows nearby while Daemon lands in the pit itself. Even if it was the right size for my dragon, i'm not going to leave him there. I don’t really like the idea of ​​locking him up and i’m sure we agree on this.

I see people meeting us and deliberately avoid them. I don’t know what my elder cousin expected when he sent guards for the people who brought him victory. As if they can do anything against our dragons.

I have a bag with a dress on my shoulder and i’m sure that the servants in the palace will be quite suitable as guides to the chambers where i can change clothes. The rest of my things, unfortunately, are somewhere on the ship on the way from the Dragonstone.

"Sanne!" Daemon is calling me from behind.

I stop and turn around sharply. "What did i say about names in public?" i asked him.

Daemon catches up with me grinning. He very tries to look innocent but he fails. "I'm sorry?"

I roll my eyes. Incorrigible idiot. I turn away again and walk away from him.

"And where are you going?" he said catching up with me.

"As far away from you as possible" i answered.

Daemon takes my hand, stopping me. He stands right in front of me, blocking my way. I don’t look at him, looking at the sky and the palace behind him. In my peripheral vision i notice how he tilts his head. Actually, i don't know what came over me.

We hardly spoke after that first night on the ship. I can’t say that I was scared, i wasn’t. But as is usually the case with people. Maybe for me it looks like understanding each other, but it’s not a fact that it’s the same for him. I don't want to be Daemon's toy. 

And I don't want to look like i want to conflict with his wife for him. I don't care about her, Daemon doesn't care about her, and she doesn't care about both of us or anything her husband does. But if people see our communication like this, then these are the rumors that will spread.

All i wanted was a dragon and a quiet, secluded life. When did things get so complicated?

"Did I offend you?" Daemon asked. I look over at him. Is he kidding me?  Daemon would never say something like that seriously.

But his face is serious. This surprises me a little. "Do i look like you might offend me?"

Fine maybe i'm a little scared.  Because Daemon is much more powerful than me in Westeros. And now we're have a story. The enmity or disagreement will be much more serious now.

Daemon looks at my face and suddenly emotions overcome him. I don't have time to recognize them before his face expresses nothing again. "You don't want people to know" his words sound like betrayal.

"I don't want to make enemies" i said.

"This is ridiculous." he said, grinning and shaking his head, and then pointed an irritated finger at me. "You're Targaryen. King's cousin. You won't have fewer or more enemies from communicating with me"

"Communicating?" i said raising an eyebrow.

Daemon looks like he's been punched in the face. His voice becomes quiet and almost defeated when he speaks. "Will you never trust me?"

I grin suddenly realizing everything i tried to deny. "I would trust you with my life, Daemon. But not my reputation"

"You don't care about reputation" his hair flutters slightly in the wind. His angry eyes look at me with resentment. Vut it's as if we were transported three years ago. Daemon knew who we were and what we meant to each other from the beginning.

"As much as you" i exclaimed.

"And what is that supposed to mean?"

"That means that you were right. We are the same. And that means that i know you much better than i thought, because i know myself. And for me the majority is just an insignificant background. Those i would have dealt with without thinking. And i..." i stopped, not daring to continue.  I blink slowly and look down at the ground beneath our feet. "I'm afraid of what you might do if i'm 'the majority' for you"

We just stand in silence. My words hang heavy around my neck. I hear the whistle of the wind although there is almost none. This is unusual, because i don’t feel it even during the flight. I hate the insecurity that pierces me.

"You're not" Daemon says it so quietly that i don't hear it right away.

I look at him and see more than the eye can see. And let him see.

The guards finally notice us and i hear footsteps behind me. Daemon doesn't look away even when one of them starts talking. "Prince Daemon, lady Alysanne, the King wants to meet you.  we will guide you"

I turn around. The guards look at my armor with disdain. I only have a long dagger on my belt because, unlike Daemon, i’m not used to carrying a sword with me.

"Perhaps lady would prefer that we take your luggage to the chambers?" one of them asked me. Judging by the voice it's still the same.

I take the bag with the dress off my shoulder and hand it to the guard closest to me. "Try not to overdo it"

"Of course, my lady" he said, emphasizing the latter, but fortunately for him he took my bag with caution. A men.

Something flies at one of the guards from behind me. I turn around and realize that this is Daemon's bag. He smiles. "How nice of you to provide your services"

I want to laugh. Daemon steps back a little, showing me the path to the palace. "Let's go, cousin"

I walk forward and see the crown in his hands. Somewhere in my chest with other things there is the same one. Crown of the Queen of Narrow Sea. That’s what they called me after the victory.

I didn’t take her on purpose, because even with an heiress in the realm, the queen is only an addition to the king.  I'm a hero. Not an addition to a hero.

"Will you wear it?" i asked him.

"I have a better idea" he said turning sharply and placing the crown on my head.

Daemon smiles at me and this is the real answer. The Queen and the King.  And only in this sequence.