20

JOSEPHINE

I can't stop staring at his mouth.

"You literally haven't stopped staring at his mouth," Kathrine  whispers the second the boys walk off.

I laugh, pulling my feet onto the booth seat, and wrapping my hands around my knees.

Way to read my thoughts.

"Be honest. You two haven't fucked yet, have you?" She sets her phone on the table.

I cut a quick glance at Felix and Hero as they order our pizza and drinks. "Why do you say that?"

"Because you're both screaming blue balls."

My mouth drops open and she laughs.

"I'm kidding, but it's cute. You guys are like ready to pounce, but both holding back."

Not holding back enough.

I can't believe I almost kissed him. I straight up climbed him, made the first move and everything, with no audience, and he didn't fight me on it!

I'd almost say he wanted it.

Wanted me, for a second anyway.

It was more than that, though.

I know he heard me and my mom, just like I heard him and his dad. That's the problem with connecting yards, your drama is shared with everyone around you, but Hero didn't step through that gate to judge me.

He came over knowing I needed a break from my own mind, something I'm beginning to realize he's all too familiar with thanks to the heavy he deals with in his own home.

That move alone speaks volumes for the boy I used to know and the man he's becoming.

My eyes seek him out, and as if sensing it, Hero glances over his shoulder, his stare locking onto mine.

I was unfair to judge you.

A slow frown begins to form on his face, but Felix grabs his attention and it's washed away. A few seconds later the two start back for our table.

"I say you take him home and find a way to keep him there." Kathrine  pulls me from my thoughts with her whisper, falling against the booth as the boy's return.

I shake my head, fighting a smile as Hero drops beside me, and faces forward.

"Sorry I couldn't find my card," I say to Felix, not missing how Hero's head snaps my way. We both know that's a lie, but he doesn't call me out. "Give me the receipt and I'll give you my portion at school or something."

Felix scoffs and Kathrine  rolls her eyes.

"Oh, please." She sips on her straw. "We invited you guys. Like we didn't plan to pay."

"I don't care, I don't want your boyfriend paying for my meals."

"Yeah, well, Hero didn't let me cover it anyway, so if you owe someone, it's your boyfriend," Felix says, dropping his arm around the back of the booth so Kathrine  can scoot into him.

"Oooh," Kathrine  teases. "I can give you some ideas for how to work off that debt."

With a light laugh, I look to Hero and slip my tongue between my teeth.

His lips press together in a one-sided grin as his hand lands on my thigh for a playful squeeze.

We rock this role play thing.

The rest of the dinner is spent talking about all the fun and embarrassing things that happened over the weekend.

An hour or two passes and then we're driving home.