27

JOSEPHINE

"I've got the Kahlua!" Kathrine  lifts the bottle in the air as she pushes open the door to Felix's truck.

"I got the Kahlua." Mandy frowns, pulling open her backpack to show us the A&W Root Beer bottles inside. "I already disguised them and everything."

"Kathrine , you were supposed to get the coffee."

"I thought you were getting the coffee." She puts her hand on her hip.

Felix rolls his eyes and walks over to Hero who is sitting on my patio chair.

"I'm snacks, Cassie's blankets, Mandy's alcohol, and you were supposed to be coffee."

"Ohhh... that's why my alert went off at lunch! I thought I forgot to turn it off from this morning," Kathrine  says.

"You remind yourself to get coffee in the morning?" Cassie teases.

"No, biatch, but if I'm not out the door when it goes off, that means I don't have time to stop." She laughs, then looks to Felix. "It's fine, we'll go get the coffee?"

"I can't," he tells her. "I have to grab my brother on the way and drop him at my dad's office."

"I'll get it." Hero pushes to his feet, moving toward me.

I love how his shoulders sway the slightest bit with each step, and how he's always got a little lift or tip of his chin, giving him an I'm coming for you look, making me want him to do exactly that.

He plants his feet directly in front of me, grabs the snacks from my hands and lifts them over my head to set the bag into the little container in the back of my car. "What are you thinkin' about, J?" he smirks as he asks. "A night under the stars with your man?" he jokes.

I pretend to gag and he laughs, bumping my body into the car with his.

"Please, never be the cheesy poet."

"I thought it was cute!" Mandy shouts as she walks off.

I hold in my grin while Hero's deepens.

"You like me better when I'm bein' a dick."

"I like you better when you sit there and look pretty," I joke.

He pushes closer. "You think I'm pretty, Pixie?"

A laugh bubbles out of me, and I wrap my hands around his neck, leaning into him, and satisfaction burns deep in his eyes.

"I think you're a fine specimen, Hero Fiennes Tiffin, but if you don't get your ass to the coffeehouse and to the school in time to have our bags checked, I might change my mind and--"

He captures my mouth with an unexpected kiss, but I'm ready for him, and need no time to think. I've been waiting to feel his lips again.

Hero's lips are soft, but his kiss is hard, a strong pressure from his mouth to mine that doesn't last near as long as it should. His tongue ghosts the edge of my lips, not invading, and quick.

Too quick.

He tugs away and my body tries to go with him.

A raspy, sexy, chuckle escapes him, and he whispers in my ear. "Watch it, J," he teases and my core heats. "I might pull you into the house."

"I might let you," I whisper.

His laugh is louder this time as he tugs free and heads for his truck while I'm stuck, practically panting, as I stare after him.

"You need help, Jo?"

Felix pulls me from my mind. "Huh, no I'm good. We're good."

He studies me a moment before glancing around - the girls are digging through bags in the trunk, and Hero's already in his vehicle turning the engine over.