22

JOSEPHINE

Scarlett takes a drink from her water bottle, setting it on the floor before she claps to get our attention. "Okay, that was halfway decent, but I do need to make some changes. A few of the pairings just... aren't working," she announces, her eyes instantly meeting mine. "Josephine, partner with Mr. Rodriguez."

I look to Felix who is focused on Hero.

"Gina, you're dismissed," she tells the JV girl she had dancing with Felix. "I'll let you know what I need from you later."

Hero's chest presses against my back in defiance, and I glance at him over my shoulder.

But wait...

I look to Scarlett. "I'll be teaching Hero and Felix then?"

"I'll make sure Hero is taken care of." I don't like the way she smiles as she says it. "And I'll assign him a new partner after I make a decision."

"I can teach him what he needs to know."

Several heads swivel our direction at my instant and accidentally argumentative tone.

Scarlett's eyes narrow. "Fall in line, Josephine. Ten seconds to start."

I pick up my towel and water, ready to walk off, but Hero jerks me back with a scowl.

"What are you doing?" he snaps.

"What she told me to."

He glares, his eyes focused over my shoulder and narrowing. "Tell her no," he says almost too low to be heard.

"She's the coach in this room, Hero. Would you tell yours no on the field?"

"Now, Mr. Fiennes Tiffin," Scarlett says with a hint of a threat.

His jaw tics, a harsh breath escaping through his nose.

He's pissed, and he doesn't bother hiding it as he glances at me, only to jerk right past me. Slowly, he makes his way toward her.

Felix ends up at my side, so I set my items back down and we work in the spot I started.

He scratches the back of his neck, glancing around. "Sorry."

"Not your fault," I tell him, spinning around and getting into position, my back to his front.

"We'll run through it once more as a group," Scarlett shouts. "Then work independently with your partner to make sure they're doing as expected, perfect what you can, ladies. We only get them for twenty minutes at a time."

Just as she says, we go one more round, cutting after the sliding walk - we don't show them a single step from our actual routine that will follow.

Felix is a quick learner so we're basically chatting as we repeat the steps in slow counts to keep going like we're busy. It's not as if the boys have a whole lot to do other than hold on and follow our movements. They aren't dancing with us, it's just a presentation welcoming them onto the field, and then it's our routine.

As much as I try not to, I repeatedly glance toward the end of the gym, where Scarlett and Hero practice independently.

I can't look away as she starts from step one again, foolish frustration flaring when Scarlett drops in front of him.

His eyes following her form as she slowly lifts has me looking away.

"Your coach is a trip."

A laugh leaves me and my eyes widen mockingly. "Yeah. I like to joke she's a stripper at night and sometimes lets it show in here for fun."