part 5 - the sort of downfall

Me and Nathan were sat in the Tutor Centre as he studied. "Why do we have to study history anyway?" He said clearly not liking the subject. "That would be so we're not doomed to repeat it". "What?". I bust out laughing realised how weird I just sounded. "Look, don't lose hope, okay. Tomorrow's a teacher's work day. Meaning you've got a three day weekend to study" I said closing the book in front of me and looking at him. "Minus my dads annual kiss-his-ass jamboree".

"Hey, I would invite you, Lola, but it's kind of a b-ball crowd" he looked as if he thought I was offended. "Oh,please,come on. It's not like I want to kiss your dads ass anyways". I laughed, making sure he knew I wasn't offended that he couldn't invite me.

"Haley made you a study guide and everything you need to ace your history exam.I also made you a box of stuff you would need." I said getting it all out of my handbag and handing it to him. "Why don't you just message me the answers" he was being serious. "Haley would kill me if I gave you them plus I don't even know myself. So my answer is sorry but no". I stood up and grabbed my handbag. "If u need anything, call me, okay? and thank you for cutting Lucas some slack". "A deals a deal,right?" He said smiling at me. "right" I said smiling and then walking off into the hallway, looking for Lucas or Haley.

I walked out of the school as Brooke took our car to school with her and I couldn't find her. I was walking across the car park as some car was reversing. "hello? I'm walking here." I turned to my left and saw Peyton in the drivers seat. "God! Lola I'm sorry" she said looking apologetic. "sure you weren't aiming?". "You're not even on that list. Need a ride anywhere". she said, squinting because of the sun. "Um..." I didn't know what to say since our last car journey was awkward afterwards. "Come on,get in" she gave me no choice.

I walked over to the passenger side of the car and opened the door,sitting next to her. "It's better to be in your car then under it" I said applying lipgloss in the mirror as I spoke. "I need to ask you something. Last week in Brooke's car, you said he cares about me,and I was trying really hard to be cool,and I didn't ask,whether you meant Nathan or Lucas". "but now you're asking." I turned and looked at her as she really did seem to want to know. "In a pathetic kind of way,yeah." she did have a right to know and that's why i was going to tell her.

"Im not going to be much help to you. I guess I meant both of them. Lucky you". I smiled and looked ahead at other people walking out of school. "Look,it's not like you need my permission or anything, but if you like Nathan, it's totally cool with me. Just be.." I knew what she was going to say immediately. "Careful. Yes, I know. You've told me. You be careful,too". "With which one". "Driving. My mom likes it when I get home alive. Let's go." I made hand signals and caused Peyton to laugh.

"Lola. What are you doing here." I walked past him into his house. "First, I am going to save you from that tie. Second, we need to talk". "Can we do both at the same time". "Yeah of course.Uh,ok your not going to like this at all. In fact, your going to hate this. But i feel that I should tell you in the interest of full friendship disclosure". " Yeah,right. What could be worse than you tutoring Nathan,huh?" I looked at him. "You like him". "Luke,do not freak out on me,okay? I can't help this anymore than you can".

"I don't like him!". "I'm talking about you and Peyton. We don't decide who to like. It's just happens" I knew Lucas didn't like this but I wanted to be honest with him bcz I didn't want anymore arguments. "What could you possibly see in the guy,huh?" He was frustrated but attempted to stay calm. "Different stuff. We connect. Yes, he can be a total ass sometimes,but, I'm telling you,it's just a defence mechanism. He really opens up with me, Lucas. And I'm sorry for that. I am." He understood and that relieved me.

Karen called me and Haley to bring deserts from the cafe since she needed a lot. Haley cleared her throat but Peyton and Lucas didn't hear her. "Sorry. Your mum called us with a SOS, so we were just going to sneak in the back and sneak back out. Um... carry on,I guess". Haley dragged me away and I pulled a face realising I sounded stupid once again. I walked into the kitchen with Haley. " We have everything you need for a first-class sugar coma" I said as me and Haley placed all the desert boxes down in the kitchen.

"These cakes are gorgeous. Thank you,both of you. Go join the party. We have it from here". I could see Haley didn't want to and I didn't fee in the party mood either. Nathan's mom walked out and I walked across the kitchen to Karen while Haley spreaded the boxes out. "she seems kinda cool. How are you holding up?" I said checking up on her. "Lola" she said. "Yes". "Why didn't you tell me it was Nathan you were tutoring" she said looking at me curious of why I wasn't honest. "I.." Before I could finish, Haley interrupted me. "I was the one that was supposed to tutor him. But I freaked out about what Lucas would think that I threw Lola into the situation and she didn't want to do it bcz of Lucas not liking him but she did it for me as a good friend.

I stood in the middle of the hallway as I had lost Haley due to there being loads of people. She probably went home and I didn't blame her for doing that. "Lola?" I knew that voice, I turned around and there he was. Nathan. "Hey,I'm not crashing I promise. Your mum just wanted some cakes so me and Haley brought them but I've lost her". "Cakes?" He said confused. "Yeah, it's a long story. She invited me to stay and I sort of had a brain-freeze, and said sure, and it's probably really weird. I'm actually going to find Haley bcz she doesn't want to be here and I'm not in the party mood". "No,no,no. I'm glad you came.Let me get you a drink". I smiled and looked at him. "Okay." We were walking over to the drinks place until.

"Lola! My dear sister!" I sighed and turned around it was Brooke, but a very drunk Brooke. "Brooke..." he knew she was very drunk and probably going to say something she shouldn't. "My own sister is now Nathan's own personal little care package. Everything's making much more sense now.You two are adorable. What was my favourite part? 'Believing you can do it is half the battle'. You know, Lola's little love note you showed everyone earlier. The one that said 'Call me if u need anything' at all". Nathan walked in front of me. "All right, Lola, I...". "Stay away from me Nathan" I walked away upset since I really liked him and he had proven Lucas right.

I was sat in the Cafe floor crying as I didn't want to go home yet as Brooke would be going home soon and she embarrassed me tonight alongside Nathan. "Hey Lola!" He shouted walking around, looking for me to find me crying on the floor. "Is this floor taken?" He said concerned. I shook my head. "You know, just this once, I deserve a big,fat 'I told you so' because you were right". " well you won't get that from me. What happened?" . "Exactly what you told me was going to happen. I started to believe he was a good person, and he just proved me wrong. Once again, the nice girl is really stupid".

"Hey,hey,hey,hey. Your not stupid" he said as he wiped the tears from my cheeks. I smiled at him. "Thanks. Well, at least things are working out for one of us. At least you and Peyton are going in the right direction". "If it makes you feel any better, it lasted five minutes." I pressed my forehead against his. "It doesn't make me feel better."

I hope this part was okay. I'm mainly following the series but I am slowly adding more parts and lines of my own since this is my first time writing and it's 2am :) .