Prologue (Part 4)

"Oh. It really does look like an entrance ceremony..." I say.

"See? Told ya! It's totally normal entrance ceremony stuff" Yasuhiro says.

Hiro was right. But in a way, that just emphasized how completely *not* normal all of us were.

Music cuts out.

"Hey there, howdy, hello! Is everyone here? Good! Then let's get things rolling!" the voice from earlier says.

Suddenly, a black and white teddy bear appears.

"Huh? A teddy bear?" Fujisaki asks.

"I'm not a teddy bear! I...am...Monokuma! And I am this school's headmaster!"

It was the strangest thing I'd ever seen. Right before my eyes, it was... What I was seeing was... It was...utterly incomprehensible.

"Nice to meet you all!"

Such a bright voice and carefree attitude was completely out of place. And all that anxiety I'd been carrying with me suddenly transformed into outright fear.

"Wh--? Waaaaaah! That teddy bear can talk!" Hifumi exclaims.

"Calm down! I'm sure there's just a speaker inside it" Kiyotaka says.

"I told you already, I'm not a teddy bear..."

"I'm Monokuma! And I'm your headmaster!"

"Waaaaah! It moved!" Hifumi exclaims.

"Seriously man, calm down! It's probably just a remote control toy or somethin'" Mondo says.

"How dare you compare me to a plush teddy bear! You've cut me deep. Deeper than the Mariana Trench..."

"My remote control system is so complex, even the people at NASA can't recreate or even comprehend it!"

"Ah, but don't make me say stuff that might destroy NASA's dreams. I just couldn't BEAR  that!"

""Bear" that? Really? You are...unfortunate" Celestia says.

"Now then, moving on! We really must hurry and get started..."

"Giving up already? No other stupid bear puns?" Junko asks.

"Quiet down now, quiet down. Ah, okay, so...!"

"He has abandoned the gag..." Sakura says.

"Everyone stand at attention and bow! And...good morning!"

"Good morning!!!" Kiyotaka says.

"Y-You don't have to s-say it back..." Toko says.

"Now then, let us commence with a most noteworthy and memorable entrance ceremony! First, let's talk a bit about what your school life here will be like. Now, ah, make no mistake--you few students, so full of potential, represent the hope of the world. And to protect such splendid hope..."

"...you will all live a communal life together solely within the confines of this school. Everyone will live in harmony together, and adhere to the rules and regulations of the school."

Huh...?

"Ah, now then...regarding the end date for this communal life..."

"There isn't one! In other words, you'll all be here until the day you die! Such is the school life you've been assigned."

"Wh-What did he just say? Until the day we d-die...?"

"Oh, but fear not! We have quite an abundant budget, so you won't lack for all the common conveniences."

"That's the least of our worries right now!"

"Yeah, what the heck? You're saying I have to live here forever? You're joking, right?" Junko asks.

"I am not joking! I am no liar, of that you can be 100% sure."

"Ah, and just for your information...you're completely cut off from the outside world. So you don't have to worry about that dirty dirty land beyond these walls ever again!"

"Cut off...? So all those metal plates all over the school..." Makoto begins. "They're there to keep us trapped in here?"

"That's exactly what they're there for. No matter how much you may yell and scream for help...help will not come. So with all of that in mind, feel free to live out your life here with reckless abandon!"

"Come on, what the heck is this? I don't care if the school or whoever else is behind it all, this is just a really bad joke" I say.

"Yeah! Cut this crap out! It isn't funny anymore!" Mondo exclaims.

"You keep saying this is a lie, or a joke. A bunch of skeptics, all of you."

"But I guess you can't help it, huh? You all grew up in an age where you're taught to doubt your neighbor... Well you'll have plenty of time to find out whether or not what I say is true. And when that time comes, you'll see with your own eyeballs that I speak the undeniable truth."

"Having to live here forever would be...quite the problem" Celestia says.

"Come, now. What's the matter with all of you? You decided of your own free will to attend Hope's Peak Academy, didn't you? And now, before the entrance ceremony is even finished, you've already decided you want to leave?"

"Oh but you know... I guess I forgot to mention one thing. There *is* one way for you to leave the school..."

"R-Really?" Makoto asks.

"As headmaster, I've crafted a special clause for those of you who would like to leave! I call it...the Graduation Clause!"

"Now, let me tell you about this fun little rule. As I mentioned, in order to maintain an environment of harmony here, we rely on a communal lifestyle. And if someone were to disrupt that harmony, they and they alone would be allowed to leave the school. That, my students, is the Graduation Clause!"

"What do you mean by "disrupt the harmony"?"

"Puhuhu... Well, you know... If one person were to murder another."