9. Olaf the Matchmaker

(Y/N)'s POV

"𝐓𝐡𝐞𝐧 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐭𝐚𝐢𝐥 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐝𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐡𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐢𝐭 𝐛𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐩𝐞𝐨𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐧 𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐡 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐚 𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐫 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐥𝐞𝐠𝐬. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐭; 𝐢𝐭 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐟 𝐚 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐩 𝐬𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐝 𝐬𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐡𝐞𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐲𝐨𝐮. 𝐄𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐬𝐞𝐞𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐬𝐚𝐲 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐠𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐡𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐛𝐞𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐞𝐲𝐞𝐬 𝐨𝐧, 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐫 𝐠𝐥𝐢𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨 𝐝𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐛𝐞 𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐭𝐨 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐚𝐬 𝐥𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐥𝐲 𝐚𝐬 𝐲𝐨𝐮.

𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐟𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐟 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐮𝐩𝐨𝐧 𝐤𝐧𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐛𝐥𝐚𝐝𝐞𝐬 𝐬𝐨 𝐬𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐩 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐛𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐥𝐨𝐰. 𝐈 𝐚𝐦 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐞𝐥𝐩 𝐲𝐨𝐮, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐚𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐰𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐮𝐟𝐟𝐞𝐫 𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐬?"

"𝐘𝐞𝐬," 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐦𝐞𝐫𝐦𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐬𝐚𝐢𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐚 𝐭𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐯𝐨𝐢𝐜𝐞, 𝐚𝐬 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐡𝐮𝐦𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥."

"Woah! Wait," The benevolent snowman interrupts. He scoots closer to the edge of the bed, extending a warning wooden finger out. "So the little mermaid is willing to be in pain just to be with her crush, whom she hardly knows?"

I place the bookmark in between the pages of Hans Christian Andersen's, The Little Mermaid, and look back to Olaf, who has been intently listening to me read aloud.

"Pretty much Olaf." A smile graces my lips as I read aloud in my bedroom's window seat across from a friend. Midday rays of sun stream into the guest bedroom as flurries of snowflakes whack the ice glass window. There's been a series of coming and going snowstorms for the past few days.

"But she just met him!" Olaf exclaims. "I mean, I get true love, but don't you need to know the person for more than a day!? You can't marry a man you just met! Wait, why does that sound familiar?"

I giggle at the snowman's attitude.

"I agree, Olaf, you can't just marry a man you just met, but I don't find it that fictitious to have a connection that's like love with another soul at first sight." I pick up a glass of water. "Sometimes people are just fated to be and feel that pull with someone, and it drives them to do crazy things, like anything for their lover or crush. Such as the little mermaid for her Prince."