Gift 💗

╔═ .✾. ═╗

"Genya! Watch out!" Muichiro yelled, as Genya turned behind him and shot the demon that was in the air about to attack him.

Muichiro attempted to slash the demon's neck but failed once again as he dodged - he was getting annoyed at its speed.

"What a nuisance" Muichiro muttered before Genya shot at the Demon that approached the pillar from behind. "Is it just me or are they multiplying?" Genya asked as Muichiro started to review their surroundings.

"Genya, on your left!" Muichiro yelled as Genya shot whatever was on his left, he noticed Muichiro was distracted by studying his surroundings "Muichiro, above!" Genya yelled as Muichiro decapitated the demon that was right above him.

The two are the perfect pair when it came to teamwork. "11 o'clock!" Genya yelled, he meant slightly to the left of where the pillar was facing.

As the two were busy cutting and shooting the demons, Genya didn't notice the demon from above him.

"Watch out!" Muichiro exclaimed running towards the Shinazugawa who stood there in shock.

Things happened so quickly. All Genya can remember is that he was saved by Muichiro who got badly injured, and the rest of the fighting he couldn't remember - he probably went on autopilot.

He kept fighting while trying to keep the youngest pillar safe. And luckily, he survived - not without help from his older brother who came as backup.

──── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ────

Genya entered the butterfly estate to visit someone, Tokito Muichiro, The mist pillar who had been badly injured after he saved the Shinazugawa

And because of that, Shinazugawa Genya is indebted to the youngest pillar.

He would often learn how to make origami, a hobby he got from Muichiro. He'd make all sorts of these folded papers, his favorite being the crane that often symbolizes hope.

He hopes that Muichiro would wake up soon.

Genya took care of Muichiro when Shinobu wasn't around, he'd be the one to cover the youngest in a warm blanket and light some candles to withstand the cold of the winter.

He'd watch Muichiro lay there unconscious on his bed, he'd often sob, wishing he was the one that was hit instead - if only he wasn't so blind and noticed the demon from above him.

December is coming to an end, The new year will come soon. Genya can celebrate this new year without Muichiro by his side, but he cannot celebrate his birthday without his beloved friend by his side.

Midnight soon came, and January first arrived. But Muichiro still hasn't awakened from his coma.

"Muichiro, there's fireworks outside. Do you not want to see them?" No reply, Genya squeezed the other's hand. Watching the fireworks from afar.

"You would've loved the shiny bright lights." he paused, waiting for a reply that won't come. "You were so excited to light sparklers with me."

"I should be the one in this bed, not you." He sobbed, burying his head in the other's chest.

──── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ────

January 5, two more days till Genya's birthday. Instead of visiting the mist hashira, he was sent on a mission.

Genya planted a kiss on Muichiro's forehead before a mission - it could work as a good luck charm.

"Wake up soon, okay? I didn't mind if you miss the New Year, just please don't miss my birthday." He whispered, leaving a small letter on his bedside table where there is a neatly folded origami crane attached.

──── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ────

A day later after Genya was sent to a mission, Muichiro finally woke up. The pillars and other slayers were overjoyed to see Muichiro alive and well, and the first thing Muichiro did was look for Genya.

He eyed the origami crane by his bed, and he spots a small letter beside the crane.

The letter was written with "decent" handwriting, some words he can't read or understand... but even so, the message got to him without any complications.

"Kochou-san, am I allowed to leave my bed?" he asked, putting the letter down. The older pillar nodded, in which Muichiro rushed outside to catch up with the other slayers.

The majority of the other's greetings are mostly: "Aww, you missed the new year! Glad you're awake though!" or "You scared me, I thought you had died." and even "It's good you're awake, be more careful next time."

What touched him more is...

"Thanks for saving my younger brother," Sanemi whispered, ruffling Muichiro's hair. "But seriously, be more careful," he added.

Muichiro nodded, Sanemi seemed like an older brother to him despite him going feral most of the time. Kind of like Giyuu, both of them act like an older brothers to them.

Come to think of it, Muichiro thinks of everyone as an Older sibling considering he is the youngest, and the fact that he lost his older brother to a horrible demon.

Muichiro suddenly remembered something, tomorrow is Genya's birthday.

"What are you getting Genya for his birthday tomorrow?" The mist pillar asked, Sanemi seemed to be deep in thought. His eyes darted at Muichiro before smirking.

"You?"

──── ⋅ ⋅ ── ✩ ── ⋅ ⋅ ────

A few hours after Muichiro woke up Genya got back from his mission, nobody told him about Muichiro being awake. All he wanted to do is lay on a bed and sleep instead of having a huge birthday party where no one will attend.

But of course, as usual, he rushed to check if Muichiro is doing okay. And there he was in his bed, still sleeping. He laid his head on Muichiro's bed, dozing off as he held the younger one's hand.

And by the time he woke up, it was already midnight.

"Happy birthday to me, I guess," he mumbled to himself. Still waiting for Muichiro to wake up.

"Please wake up," he whispered to the other, shedding a few tears.

"Happy birthday."

"Thanks," he replied at the greeting, he seemed to be clueless - not recognizing the voice, the other chuckled at him oblivious about what had just happened.

Genya's head jolted up at the voice "Muichiro?! You're awake?!" Genya yelled, wrapping the one on the bed in a warm and tight hug.

"Happy birthday!" The other hashiras and some friends appeared from behind the curtain, surprising the younger Shinazugawa.

Genya seemed shocked, watching as all his friends gathered up and showered him with gifts.

"Our birthday present is... Muichiro!" Mitsuri exclaimed excitedly, pointing at the now awake - Muichiro.

"Happy birthday, Genya!" Everyone cheered, but Genya's teary eyes were only on Muichiro.

"You're actually awake." Genya sobbed, cupping Muichiro's cheeks checking for any injuries.

Muichiro chuckled, caressing Genya's tear-stained cheek. "Happy birthday, Genya. Sorry, I didn't get you a gift." Genya shook his head, trying to reply despite his sobbing

"The greatest gift I could ever have is you."

♡♡

╚═ .✾. ═╝