𝐅𝐢𝐯𝐞

[Y/N] POV

"What are you talking about?" I asked softly. There was no way our family was in debt.

"We lost a lot of money when the Basilwethers didn't support your fathers bill, we lost a lot of money." She explained harshly and I titled my head in confusion.

"You're father has been losing his sanity over this. He's been so stressed. They're trying to accuse us of fraud. Ever since they lost the election to us a couple of years ago." She said, her voice wavering and I felt sympathy for my father.

She then brought her hand up to cup my cheek. "And you're the only one who can save us."

"What do you mean?" I questioned, worried for my fathers happiness.

Then I realized what she meant and I stood up angrily again. "I won't marry Phillip! I refuse!"

"Do you want your father to get sick? For us to lose all of our money?!"

"My father is only concerned for my happiness." I declared and she started to laugh. "And what's more important? Your happiness or the well being of your dear father?"

I stopped to think, of course I loved my father. More than anything but to marry for more power, for money? It would be cruel to Phillip, who seems to genuinely love me.

"Think about it." My mother spat before leaving me alone with my thoughts.

-

It was the next day and I was getting ready for the ball with Enola. She was getting dressed while going on about her older brother Mycroft and his horrid way of thinking.

However I wasn't paying attention as my mind was going over Tewkesbury and how nervous I am to see him. And that I promised him a dance.

"He even had the audacity to suggest sending me to one of those ridiculous schools-!" I heard Enola declare angrily before she stopped talking.

"Are you even listening [N/N]?" Enola asked and I sighed.

"Sorry." I muttered and she walked up to me. "You're nervous aren't you?"

I nodded, "What for? You look amazing." She said and I felt wrong for forgetting to tell her about Tewkesbury. And about everything that has happened with Phillip.

So I explained everything to her, I told her about Phillip and him offering his hand in marriage, my family being in debt, and Tewkesbury.

She listened carefully and rose her eyebrows at some details. When I finished she groaned. "I'm sorry about your family's money declining. How cruel of your mother to suggest you to marry for money."

I nodded, as I finished putting on my gloves. I stared at my dress in the mirror, it was my favorite color and was angelic. I had picked it out a couple of weeks ago.

Lace trimmed the top and the corset with the dress fitted my body perfectly. I then focused my eyes on my hairstyle, I had slept with ribbons in my hair to curl my hair and it was done in an elegant half up/ half down.

"And what of the Basilwether heir? Do you think you might fancy him?" Enola asked, her hand on her chin.

"No. I don't think I can fancy him just yet, I know not a lot of him." I turned around to face her again, "And his family did take part in my family going into debt. His father didn't support my fathers bill."

She whistled slightly and shook her head, "That could cause problems with his family and your family."

"I would've suggested you marrying him instead of Golding." Enola tried joking and I narrowed my eyes and she stopped chuckling.