• Chapter 03 •

"Moon, listen, I'm going to Lora tomorrow morning

"Moon, listen, I'm going to Lora tomorrow morning... I met an old friend who now lives there and he said he's pretty sure that your brother is alive. Alive, darling. Gun may be alive...", her uncle's voice was rushed on the other side of the phone.

"And I must stay here in Berkshire alone. Why didn't you call me to go with you?"

"You know that Berkshire is the safest place for you at the moment..."

"Why? Because my so-called mate is here?"

"Because the Sutherlands can protect you.", Damion sighed. "If the Cerdaville finds you, I won't be able to protect you by myself..."

"I can protect myself, uncle. I don't need anyone to-"

"You can't, hon. You have no idea what they're capable of.", Damion stayed silent for a few seconds. "I asked Brock and May to house you while I'm gone. Please, go with them when they come to pick you up."

"What? Oh, I'm not gonna go and live with them at that mansion. I'll stay at our hut. That's my home."

"There's been some reports of intruders near the border... Do you remember those noises last week? From what I heard, they tried to invade Berkshire. There's no safer place for you than with the Sutherlands, honey."

Moon was quiet.

"You don't like him?"

"I don't. He's too... serious, and quiet. I can't read him."

"Moon, he's your mate, not an enemy for you to need to read him. Talk to him, ask him whatever you want to, like a normal person. I bet you'll find something in common with him..."

"Yeah. Our distaste for being each other's mate.", Moon sighed.

"You think he doesn't like you?"

"Doesn't matter. I'll find a way to undo this."

Damion chuckled. Unlike his young niece, he knew that a bond between a vanik and a vampire was unbreakable. "Will you behave?"

"Define 'behave'...?", Moon chuckled. "Yeah, fine... I promise not to get involved in unnecessary fights."

"I hope I'll come back without having to visit anyone's grave...", Damion was about to hang up when he remembered something. "Ah! I've heard that brownies are irresistible, especially if bittersweet. They calm even the bravest of beasts..."

"So does magic...", she muttered. "Stay safe."

"You too, sweetie. Don't get in trouble, please."

It's been three days since her uncle left the city, and five days since the party where she officially met Gray.