• Chapter 21 •

"You're quite something

"You're quite something.", the old lady said calmly as she stirred the tea in her cup, served by Moon. "Life hasn't been easy for you, ever, has it, my dear?"

"No, it hasn't.", Moon chuckled dryly.

Evanora smiled dearly at her; Moon resembled her younger self. The old guardian held her hands across the table. "Things will get better. You can trust me."

"I hope you're right...", Moon bit her lower lip. "Cause I am getting tired..."

The old lady empathized with her, smiling tenderly.

"Tell me, Moon... How did you feel earlier? Watching your destined mate pass through those gates? Right in front of you after so long?"

Moon bit her lower lip, then took a sip of her tea; its warmness filling her body. "Painful..."

"Why?"

She sighed. "There's a part of me that desperately wants to run into his arms, ignore everything else, and just... stay with him. But then, there's this other part who is... angry, mad, and so regretful... It wasn't fair that I lost all my powers just to bring him back. It's as if meeting him was the breaking point of my life. Everything got messy after that night..."

Evanora sighs, tapping her fingers on Moon's hand, comforting her. "Things are about to change, dear Moon. And, unfortunately, there's a war, ready to break, mainly because of... you."

"Me?", Moon scoffed, her eyes starting to brim with tears. "Caelan. Wow, Now I'm feeling better..."

"The war won't last long. If you keep following your instincts, everything will end on a happy note."

"To do that won't I upset everyone?"

Evanora shrugged her shoulders. "Those who truly know and love you will eventually understand your actions. You don't need to worry about that."

"Before we get to the bad news, cause I know there is... Can I ask a few things? I've been in the dark this last year and it's killing me to feel so ignorant about so many things..."

"Go ahead. Unlike that stubborn guardian of where you came from, I don't mind answering questions. You know... In the end, no matter which route you choose, destiny can't be changed."

"You know Dafoe?"

"Cousin. Long story, Moon."

Moon nodded. "Is it true that I am... a hybrid?"

"I always thought this word was odd too, you know, simply name a unique mix of two different races...", Evanora said, taking a sip of her tea. "You have a strong thing going on with cinnamon, don't you? I can feel your body yearning for it, but you've been denying your desires..."

"It's-"

"His scent. I figured it. Ok, let's start with this one. You are a hybrid. This will make sense to you given how your mother treated you... Eventually, you'll find your biological mother. But, trust me dear, it all sounds more complicated than it is."