• Chapter 23 •

The sun was setting in Mendraria, leaving the sky in a light pink tone mixed with blue

The sun was setting in Mendraria, leaving the sky in a light pink tone mixed with blue. Ace was leisurely relaxing on a bench at the park at the center of the town, watching the citizens passing by, the kids playing and the shop owners either closing or opening their business. He would never say it to Moon, as he didn't want his friend to feel bad but he missed his life in Berkshire.

He wondered, day and night, when they'd be able to come back.

"Whatcha doing here, Ace?", the strong voice of Josiah called his attention back to reality as the older man sat beside him.

"Thinking about life..."

"This is surely a good place to think about life.", he replied, looking around. "Are you happy here, boy?"

"What?"

"Are you happy here, boy?", Josiah repeated himself, something rare.

"Why wouldn't I be? I have my best friend here... And everyone treats us so nicely...", Ace explained.

"You had your life back in Berkshire. You had a good job, a plan to open up your own business... If you had stayed, you'd probably have found your mate already. Why did you follow the witch here?"

Ace stayed quiet, staring at the sky. He had millions of reasons to not follow her...

"She saved me more times than I can remember..."

"You don't look like the type that gets into trouble."

"I meant it in a mental way."

Josiah sighed. "So you're grateful? That's why?"

"I am grateful. For not only finding her but being accepted into her family by uncle Dam. I don't have a family and I'm not a great witch. I'm pretty much useless in life..."

"I disagree. And if Moon is here, she'd agree with me.", Josiah said. "You're braver than many alphas I've met in my life. And your protective side always kicks in way stronger than anyone out there. Plus, you've got a good heart, boy. That's priceless."

"Yeah, right..."

"Don't be discouraged. It'll get better someday, trust me."

"I miss my old life, you know?"

Josiah chuckled. "She won't stay here that much longer, boy. She'll go back. For many reasons. You being one.", he looked tenderly at Ace. "She cares for you as much as she cares for her brother."

Josiah then got up, stretched his arms, muttering something about being old and left, both hands in his pockets as he walked down the path to his hut.

When Gray got back to Moon's hut, with a box of pizza on his hands, he halted at the doorstep, somehow feeling as if he needed permission to get in, although he'd been staying there since he came to Mendraria.