• Chapter 19 •

One year later

One year later...

A group of children was playing cheerfully in the city's main park, a big area right in the middle of Mendraria, with cobblestone floors and a big pond in the middle, iron benches all around as well as bushes and flowerbeds. It was lively no matter at which time you passed by there.

The food stalls would be open till late at night, with its many different and inviting scents calling for people, and the owners would always treat each other, as well as their customers, like family.

Mendraria was a closed city, therefore, all its inhabitants knew each other and it was a habit of them to take care of each other.

"Look, look, it's Miss Moon!", one of the children shouted upon watching the said woman leaving the only coffee shop in town, Cup o'Joe, owned by a senior citizen; who, contrary to his stern face, was quite loved by everyone.

The children ran to her, surrounding the woman and making her unable to even take a step forward.

"Ok, ok, chill out everyone...", she said, smiling at them and then getting on her knees, staying at eye level with them. "What are you guys playing today?"

"Dodge ball... But I'm not good at it...", the one who called her earlier whined, scratching his eyes.

"It's ok.", she brushed his hair gently. "No one is good at everything. But, if you want to get better, keep practicing."

"I will...", the kid smiled widely. "Are you going to meet Alpha Josiah?"

"I will. Want me to deliver something to your father while I'm there?"

"Just tell him that mom misses him and that he should come home soon."

"Ok.", she hugged him and all the other kids before getting up and walking back to her original destination: the camp at the northwest part of Mendraria.

As she walked past the people, she couldn't help but remember when they first came here; all the stares they got, and how they were treated as nothing but invaders. Ada and Hux, as alphas, were highly respected and feared from the beginning, even more, so when people found out that the woman used to be Josiah's pupil. But as for Moon and Ace, it took them two months and a deadly invasion in the city for them to be recognized as real citizens of Mendraria.

In the said invasion, Ace helped the elderly get safely to the city's campsite and helped to protect the only kindergarten in the city. Moon, on the other hand, although powerless, had her deep knowledge of herbs, which was of great help to those who were wounded. After that, Mendraria's people publicly apologized and now treat them as family.

In the meantime, she was able to respond to a few of her brother's emails, sending photos of Yellowtail Bay found on the internet, but that stopped after the fourth month. She couldn't find any more excuses as to why she wasn't going back to Berkshire.