Chapter 25

We are lucky on our escape. There was one patrol near the old factories, but we managed to get past them without notice. We took a taxi to about a half an hour walk from the motel. I even considered if we should go to another part of town, but the place I live in is the best if you want to be off grid. So we took all the back alleyways I know and made it to the motel. We look terrible, but we are covered with soot rather than blood.

The owner didn't ask any questions as we arrived. He knows me and we took two more rooms in addition to the one we already have, so he has no complaints. I promised him extra credits if he kept his mouth shut about us and for a new set of clothes, which he gladly accepted.

We have one room for the Atorus' and one for me and Greece, and the last one for Harwal, in case he loses his temper. His request, his words.

As soon as I get to the room, I flail Greece to take a shower first and take a seat on one of the shitty chairs next the door, meant for exactly this, waiting for the other person to clean up the soot.

I blow out a breath and wince at the pain on my neck and cheek, only now feeling the battering I received. I bite my lips to resist the tears bubbling out. This has been so much shit for one day. My body trembles, and I cover my face, trying to get my emotions in check.

A tiny mewl on my chest reminds me of the tiny beast I have. The cub pokes out her head from my pocket and looks at me with the ruby-red eyes. I shudder a breath and gently take her on my dirty hand, but the cub is black, and the soot doesn't do anything to her at all. It's like her fur rejects the stuff.

"You've had a shitty day too, huh?" I whisper and rub her cheek. God… what the fuck am I going to do with this? I can't raise her in my apartment, it's way too small to contain a beast she grows into.

She purrs slightly and rubs her cheek on my finger. And at that moment, I already know I can't give her to anyone. "Damn you," I whisper and rub her chin and body, calming us both with the act.

I can hear Greece sobbing in the shower and I do my best to not eavesdrop, but it's impossible. I keep petting the kitty and wait for my turn, knowing the water is going to be freezing for my shower already.

Somebody knocks on the door and says, "leaving the clothes here."

"Thank you," I answer and wait for the sounds of their footsteps to disappear. I go wipe my hands on the dirty robe in the dresser before grabbing the pile. They gave all the clothes to us, figures. I take them to the bed and sort them through. Two sets of clothes for women, and three for male slaves.

I blow out a breath and grimace as I lift the pants. There's no way any of these are going to fit Harwal, they're way too small. I throw them all into one pile to the side.

The kitty mewls again, and I realise I don't even know what the fuck it eats. What if it's hungry?

"I'm out," Greece mumbles and trudges straight to the bed and pulls on the covers. "Can we talk tomorrow? I'm so exhausted I could just pass out."

"Yeah, go ahead," I mutter. She must be tired, she probably hasn't slept for the past couple of days. "I'm gonna go give the clothes to the guys."

Greece doesn't answer, literally passing out on the bed immediately. I cover her up with the blanket and frown at the cuts and swollen cheek. "Good night," I whisper and kiss her temple.

I go wash my hands and arms in the sink and then collect the clothes. I get out and bump into the motel worker right next to Atorus' and Harwal's room. It's a familiar face, the motels owner's daughter.

"Hey," I stop her and she turns to me with a dull look, scanning me from head to toe.

"Yeah?" She says, brushing her red hair off her freckled face.