Chapter 28

"Stop playing with me, you—you evil bull!" I snap lamely and get up. "You're playing around with my feelings so bluntly. How can you be so mean? You… old man!"

I stomp away, but he grabs my arm, making me drop my mug. It shatters on the ground, and I spin toward him. "What more do you want from me?"

"I don't understand what you're angry about," he says and tugs me closer, but I try to fight it, smacking his hand in vain.

"What do you want from me?" I repeat, dragged right on his face. "Do you want me to say I like you? That I want you? Is that it? Well I do! There, feel better for humiliating me?"

"Why is it humiliating to like me?" He asks, amusement in his tone. Amusement that I don't resonate with right now.

"Why are you being an ass? I know you understand more than you let on. You're just playing around with—"

Harwal interrupts me by wrapping his arm around me and seating me on his leg. I try to push him away, but I'm wholly rooted in place by him.

"What are you doing?"

"Listen," he murmurs and tips my head back. "You have been very clear about not wanting to live anywhere near my people. What am I supposed to do?"

I flick my chin off his hold and scowl. "Supposed to do with what?" I snap and poke his chest. "You've been so difficult any and every goddamn time I've tried to get closer."

Harwal doesn't seem bothered by my outburst. Rather, he leans closer and hovers dangerously close to my face. "Is that so?"

I nearly close my eyes in pleasure as his sun-kissed scent fills my lungs. He's clearly trying to distract me from my anger and succeeding. My eyes flick to his full lips, and I lick my own.

"What do you want?" I whisper, barely getting my voice out.

"I want to kiss you," Harwal says, tightening his hold on my waist.

"I'm…angry," I mumble, but meet him halfway, pressing my lips on his.

I feel like a fool playing into his games like this, but I moan as I taste mango again. It's so otherworldly it makes me shiver. I grab his biceps and lean completely against him.

Harwal's hand travels to the back of my neck, and he deepens the kiss, bringing more flavor to me with his tongue. I humm in pleasure and try to match the sudden change in intensity.

I nibble on his lip, trying to make a little dent in it, but I don't have the heart to bite too hard. He returns the gesture, nicking my lip and instantly drawing a tiny bit of blood. Which makes me angry again. It's unfair.

I grab his horns in the lack of any other way to get closer, as he keeps my butt firmly on his thigh. He growls deep, his chest rumbling and tickling my own. I respond with a moan and nip his tongue between my teeth. He seems to like it with the low rumble it draws from him.

I pull back, feeling a great urge for air. I pant and turn my face as he tries to kiss me again, making him kiss my jaw. I let go of his horns and try to figure out what the hell just happened, but his mouth on me makes it so difficult. I feel like I was bewitched.

Suddenly, Harwal jerks back and scrunches his nose. His teeth are bared, and he stares at my neck.

"The—stink?" I say between pants.

He bats his eyes and looks at me, as if only then realising I exist. "I… can't."

"I will hit you if you don't elaborate," I grumble.

"I can't be so close when you smell like you belong to another man. I want to erase it," Harwal says, leaning back and breathing through his mouth. "It's infuriating."