Chapter 5

Flashback continues...

Manan were sitting on a bench in the park.

Manik: You must be thinking that why I suddenly got you here. Nandini, I may not seem to be, but I am a person who could never express my true self to anyone. Alya was always there from my childhood, she is a good friend, but she never understood the real me Or maybe she never tried. We met Cabir when we were in class 7, by that time I had already built a wall around myself, but slowly I opened up to him a bit, he understood me, supported me always, he is like my brother, but still I couldn't share everything with him, maybe because of my past.

Nandini: If you want, you can tell me Manik, I promise I won't judge you. I will try my best to understand you.

Manik: I know that Nandini, I felt that and that's why I got you here to reveal everything, to open my heart.

Nandini put her small palm on his big palm giving him strength and assurance. Manik smiled and continued.

Manik: My parents are always busy in business, though my mother wanted to give me time, but because of work pressure and my father's strict nature, she never could. Both of them love me, they fulfilled all my needs with money, but what I wanted was their time, which they never gave. I grew up alone from childhood and from that time only I grew immense love and interest in folk songs, those used to calm my soul, give me peace. One day I told my father that I wanted to learn folk music, I was 9 years old then. I remember I saw happiness in my mother's eyes, but my father strictly said that no one listens to those kinds of songs nowadays and being a Malhotra kid I shouldn't learn those. He told me if I want I can learn something else and next day he got me admitted to a guitar class. I felt very upset, but started going for classes, slowly I started to enjoy that. But I never got that peace which the folks gave me. One day my mother came to my room at night and gave me a dotara (a folk musical instrument). She told me that even she was a folk singer, but my father never liked that, and that's why she never revealed that to him. She told me to learn that secretly so that nobody gets to know. She apologised to me for not being able to give me time, but she didn't have the courage to go against my father.

Nandini: So, that's how you learnt dotara?

Manik: Yes, that was the start, I loved playing that. One day I brought that in school and performed a song. Many students started laughing at me saying that I am a boring person and who sings these kinds of old village type songs nowadays. They teased me a lot. I was a kid of 10 then and got very much affected by that. Even Alya that day told me to concentrate on rock songs as that was the modern trend, she also didn't like folks, she considered those to be old fashioned and boring. She started encouraging me to sing western music and I somehow felt that I am different and maybe I am really not compatible with other students, so I stopped expressing myself. But I couldn't stop singing folk in my room, that solace was something which nothing could give me. But I never sang folks  in front of others in fear of getting bashed again until today. When I heard you singing soulfully with closed eyes feeling the song, I got the courage which I was lacking, and I rushed to the stage. I felt I have found someone who will understand me, who can be my best friend, who can be my soul friend.

Nandini had tears in her eyes listening to Manik's side of story. Though many people asked and criticised her too about learning folk, but her parents were very much supportive, even she had some people around who always encouraged her. But Manik had none, which forced him to hide himself inside a shell.

Nandini: Manik, forget the past, we can't change it right. But, I promise you, now onwards I will always be with you, I will always listen to your thoughts, I will always support you. I feel really lucky that I got to know a gem of a person like you. Manik, you are a very strong person, in spite of people's criticism, you never stopped your practice, you kept on doing what gave you peace, though in silence, but you did. You are a fighter Manik, I have immense respect for you for that. Thank you for opening up in front of me, even I got someone with whom I can share my dreams.

Manik was shocked to hear her point of view about him. Does he really deserve this much respect? He finally started to feel that he has really found someone who will understand his silence.

Manik: I don't know Nandini if I was a fighter or not, but now, with you beside me, I can fight with the whole world. Just stay beside me always. And what dream you are talking about?

Nandini: I will be with you forever. My dream is to spread folk music all over the world, I want whole world to absorb its depth, to find true happiness hidden within their soul. I want to open an academy where I can teach kids the essence of folk, then slowly the number will increase and it will start spreading everywhere. Manik, Will you be my companion in this?

Manik was overwhelmed with her dream. They have one love interest in common, that is folk music, which binds them together.

Manik: Surely Nandini, now it's not only your dream, it's our dream.

Nandini was so happy that she hugged Manik suddenly. Manik initially was taken aback by the sudden hug, but later on he hugged her back, both found peace, solace and happiness. Breaking the hug, Nandini asked

Nandini: Manik, what will be the name of our academy?

Manik: It has to be soulful like the essence of the folk music, let me think.

After sometime both of them uttered together

"The Music Of The Soul".

Both of them laughed together and said " Perfect".

That's how the journey of "The Music Of The Soul" started...

Next chapter a mystery will be revealed, the lost person is found...

Manan's bond strengthens, different emotions of different people, love, jealousy, friendship...