Chapter 47: The one where you choose

That evening you couldn’t rest, the argument with your brother laying heavily on your mind. Pacing up and down you find your mind always circling back again. No, there was no point debating around it, he couldn’t go. He hadn’t been to Hyrule in person so far, hadn’t felt it’s strange logic and learned its magic first hand. He didn’t learn to speak Hylian, he didn’t have the bond with the Links you had formed. He didn’t know how to operate the notebook.

He did however have a broken arm.

Luck wouldn’t survive out there, the Links be damned. He would only be a burden to them.

Your hands grip the railing of the balcony you’re standing on tighter, glaring out into the clouded nightsky. The nights in Hyrule are clear, the stars so bright without the pollution of the city.

Then steps come up behind you.

You don’t look back, glaring out into the night.

“Can’t sleep?” Time.

You huff but don’t turn. “You should go to bed.”

“As should you” Almost fatherly. You roll your eyes.

“I can’t.”

“Because of the fight you had with Luck?”

“…yeah. You heard?”

A flicker of amusement. “I don’t think anyone in this house didn’t.”

“Fantastic” you utter. The word is dripping with sarcasm.

He sighs: “Any way to cheer you up?”

“…tell me a way to stop Luck from his harebrained plan to come with you guys.”

“Why’s that?”

“I thought you heard the argument.”

“What if I want to have your full opinion without having your arguments interrupted?”

You pause.

Then you glance up at him, meeting his eye. He looks serious. Probably this argument reminds him of too many children here that had been turned into soldiers by fate.

“I don’t want him to go” you start. “He’s hurt. A broken arm.”

“We got fairies and potions” Time points out quietly when you fall silent. “Broken bones mean nothing.”

“He doesn’t know Hylian” you give back just as quiet.

“But neither do you much, Babble” the embarrassing nickname clearly is meant to cheer you up. Maybe tease you a bit to lighten the mood.

But for once it doesn’t cause your cheeks to warm, for once it’s just a word associated with some days full of adventure and adrenaline. It’s something you can identify with.

And it’s something that shocks you to the core, determination starting to fill you.