Chapter 23

Five sat on the cold floor in a corner, an almost empty bottle of vodka clutched tightly in his hand. His usually sharp and calculating eyes were hazy, his thoughts clouded by the effects of the alcohol. Beside him, Katherine lay slumbering on his lap, her head resting against his shoulder.

Both of them were thoroughly drunk, having found solace from their chaotic lives in the bottom of that bottle. The library, once a realm of knowledge and quiet contemplation, had been transformed into their personal refuge.

Five's head was slightly tilted back against the wall, and he let out an unsteady chuckle, his laughter echoing through the rows of books. "You know," he slurred, "I've been through time and space, fought off assassins, and saved the world. But this...this is the most ridiculous thing I've ever done."

Katherine's response was a soft snore, her chest rising and falling rhythmically against Five's torso. He peered down at her with a mixture of amusement and fondness, his fingers absentmindedly playing with a strand of her hair.

As the two of them occupied their cozy corner, the library's entrance creaked open. Luther and Diego, arguing in hushed tones, stepped inside. Their bickering was soon replaced by a shared expression of disbelief as they caught sight of the unexpected scene before them.

Luther's jaw dropped, and he elbowed Diego, who was quick to react with an exaggerated shush. They exchanged bewildered glances before cautiously approaching the intoxicated duo.

"Five? Katherine?" Luther's voice held a mix of astonishment and concern. "What the hell are you two doing here?"

Five blinked, his gaze shifting from Katherine to the two towering figures before him. "Oh, just...havin' a little bonding time," he slurred, a crooked grin tugging at the corner of his mouth.

Katherine stirred slightly, her eyes fluttering open. She blinked drowsily and looked up at Five, her lips curving into a lazy smile. "Five...you're so warm," she mumbled, nuzzling her face against his shoulder.

Diego's eyebrows shot up, and he couldn't help but let out a bemused chuckle. "Well, well, well, looks like someone's having a good time," he remarked with a playful grin.

Luther cleared his throat, his expression stern. "This is a library, Five. And you're both...drunk," he stated incredulously.

Five shrugged nonchalantly, the bottle of vodka still clutched in his hand. "Eh, they should have put up a 'no drinking' sign if they didn't want us to indulge."

Katherine's eyes drooped, and she let out a contented sigh. "You guys are so loud," she mumbled, snuggling closer to Five.

Diego couldn't suppress a laugh at the sight before him. "Well, it's definitely a memorable night at the library."

Luther sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Okay, enough chit-chat. We need to get them out of here before someone else sees."

Diego smirked, eyeing the situation with amusement. "I call dibs on carrying Katherine."

Luther rolled his eyes. "Fine. But you owe me one."

With synchronized effort, Diego scooped up the sleeping Katherine in his arms, cradling her carefully. Luther approached Five, who was still seated on the floor, looking slightly disoriented.

"Come on, Five," Luther said, extending a hand. "Time to call it a night."

Five stared at Luther's outstretched hand for a moment before allowing himself to be pulled to his feet. He swayed slightly, his balance compromised by the alcohol, but Luther's strong grip kept him steady.

As they made their way out of the library, Five shot a playful grin at Diego. "You know, you really missed out. This corner is prime real estate."

Diego rolled his eyes, a smirk tugging at his lips. "Yeah, I'll keep that in mind for my next library visit."
_______________

"Well, we can't go back to the house," Luther grumbled, irritation evident in his voice, as they walked down a quiet alley.

"If she hadn't let me drink, this wouldn't have happened," Five thought, casting a sideways glance at Katherine, his frustration tinged with an underlying concern.

"It's not secure. Those psychopaths could come back at any moment. My place is closer. No one will look for him there," Diego explained, trying to be the voice of reason.

Five let out a groan and an unceremonious belch, earning a wary look from Luther. However, before Luther could react, Five's gaze shifted to Katherine, his expression softening. "If you vomit on me..." Luther's threat trailed off as he was met with an unexpectedly bleary eyes that lit up with a mischievous glint as he observed her, a sly smile curling on his lips. Despite his inebriation, Five's natural charm and charisma still held sway..

"Diego, my good man," Five slurred, his words laced with an exaggerated theatricality. "What a noble act you've undertaken, rescuing the damsel in distress." He leaned closer making Luther's job harder as it is, his voice dripping with flirtatious amusement. "But, might I suggest, she would be far more comfortable in my expertly crafted arms?"

Diego's exasperation deepened, his irritation palpable. "Seriously, Five, back off. You're making a fool of yourself."