14. Persistence

Verona was with her mother back at the hotel while her father and brother had gone out that Saturday morning. At breakfast, Verona had introduced Dani to her mother. Dani had explained the situation to her. Angelia was willing to help. Angelia had even gone to make a phone call to Arlinda Mcleod to explain the situation.

Dani said to Verona "Your mum is so nice... I cant believe she is getting involved like this for me.... She doesnt even know me... She is so understanding... I have never met anyone like that before.. Certainly not back where I am from in Chicago..."

Verona said "My mother has a tragic past... She tries to help people ..."

Angelia entered the lounge where Dani was sitting with Verona. She approached them and announced "Everything is sorted with Arlinda... Dani. Arlinda says she wont ever have any objections to the judgment the Rosarios make..."

Verona asked "So mum... Is Dani free now?"

Angelia said "She is free. Arlinda says if Dani is a McReynolds, she has no obligations towards her. Dani's adopted parents work for Arlinda and they continue to do so... Dani owes nothing to Arlinda... Dani is free to do what she wishes. I explained that Dani is not really protected by her adopted parents and they are acting as parents or rather indifferent parents for the money as part of a deal with the Alistaires... I made it clear they are only doing this for the money and when Dani turns eighteen the protection ends...."

Dani said "What about my documents... Alistaires hold everything that I need... Do I have to go to them?"

Angelia said "No... Arlinda is pushing for your adoptive parents to work for her another two decades.. Basically to retirement. So you do not owe the Alistaires anything.... Arlinda also will give you access to all identity documents and anything files to do with your family that are in a vault that your adoptive parents had access to.. You can go to the bank and request it... She owns that bank... Your ties with your adoptive parents are broken.... And you dont owe the Alistaires any explanations because your adoptive parents work for Arlinda now..."

Dani gasped "Oh my god... So it means I can finally go to my brother to be with him in this final stand off that is do or die for us?"

Angelia sat down opposite Verona and Dani "Yes... Precisely... You are free Dani... Your brother needs you... So Dani, when your brother asks you to go sign papers, Arlinda wont be your obstacle... You can concentrate on surviving... And perhaps helping your brother reach a good deal to get protection..."

Dani said "Thank you so much..."

Angelia smiled sadly "Dani... Are you sure you want to do this? Are you sure you want to walk away from Stanley? He can help you..."

Dani said "I dont want him involved. His family will be harsh to him if e gets involved in something thats not his fight... I need to be there for my brother but I know he will try to protect me... What if he gets hurt? I need to disappear from his life..."

Angelica said "But you dont have to do this alone... I can talk to my husband... I can get him to get involved to help you... Even Arlinda has no problems helping but she said my husband needs to ask her to get involved beyond what she is doing... This is business... Any family who gets involved will have to be prepared for the consequences."

Dani said "You have helped enough Mrs Rosario... You broke all my obligations to Arlinda Macleod... She has agreed to let me go and thats all I want... My brother and I have so many enemies... My brother can fix it if she makes the right business deals ..."

Verona asked "So... What is going to happen now Dani?

Dani said "I am going to my brother... I will send Alistaire a letter and explain that I need time and space... I need to sort my family out... I need to have a family... My brother needs me... I have the chance to be free and help my brother..."