-2-

⚔︎ Kings and Heights⚔︎

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Renly moved noiselessly through the crowd. Her hood was up, eyes narrowed and calculating and her face made of stone. Thousands of people had turned up to watch the rightful king meet his maker at the hands of the usurper Vortigern. It made her slightly sick, even standing there in the yard watching everyone prepare for the spectacle.

Percy and Rubio stood a few paces away from her, John and William stood with Margot on the edge of the cliff that was to be their escape route, everyone tense and ready for the battle to come.

She stopped when she saw the doors to the castle open and the false king Vortigen Pendragon stepped out onto the stage.

He walked out head held high, face a mask of superiority and arrogance.

"Hail king Vortigern!"

Mercia yelled out.

"King Vortigan!"

The blacklegs that lined the stage echoed.

Vortigern raised his arm, hand stretched out towards the people, he moved it along them, and as his hand passed, they were meant to kneel.

Renly hated getting down on one knee at his command, but she could not very well stay standing.

Her eyes began to scan the stage, while she knelt. Taking in every face, every weapon, every variable. She had faith in her mage friend who would be carrying most of the rescue on her shoulders but there would be no avoiding a fight. Even if everything went according to plan there was no getting around it.

Her stomach turned as she thought of her friends.

Would all of them survive?

She pushed the thoughts down and went back to her counting.

Renly watched as Vortigen once again turned back to his people throwing up his arm.

"King Vortigern! King Vortigern! King Vortigern!"

It echoed all around her, his name inescapable as the people began to put their hands to their chests and then throw their arms out, over and over again in celebration of a king they all despised.

He stood there arms held out, receiving the praise as if he thought himself a god to be worshipped.

Renly repeated the action with everyone else and she smiled as she did it, for she knew that today would change everything.

The outcries continued as the doors opened once again and a man was led out. His hands and feet were tied by rope and he looked calm and solemn as he walked towards the chopping block.