-21-

⚔︎ Promises and Fear ⚔︎

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

The world seemed to be holding its breath.

In the wake of the attack on the caves and Renly's kidnapping there seemed to have been a shift in the very air that surrounded them.

Arthur had always known that Renly was the heart of the rebellion but he had never been able to guess the effect of losing her would have on him.

Could he even do this without her?

He stood silent watching the remaining members of his crew work.

They had all lost so much.

The moment Arthur heard horses his hand went to his hip, only Excalibur was no longer there, and his fingers twitched.

He had never imagined he would miss the cursed thing.

His eyes keenly swept over the horizon, searching for the source of the noise.

Bedevere appeared over the ridge and Arthur immediately deflated with relief at the sight of Blue behind him on the horse.

Bedevere rode into the small temporary camp they had set up, swiftly descending his horse, eyes already searching for Goosefat.

Arthur walked swiftly over, helping Blue off the horse and looking him over, searching for wounds but found only a few scrapes. He let out a relieved breath at the sight of the young boy unharmed before turning to face Bedevere.

"Renly?"

He asked him.

Bedevere nodded.

"She is alive."

The older man breathed out.

Bedevere did not feel the need to inform the king of her bruised state nor that she had practically told him goodbye earlier. It would only serve as a distraction for the king and that would not help anyone.

Arthur let out a deep breath in relief.

She was alive.

"We have until tomorrow."

Bedevere informed the rest of the group who had gathered around them.

"Is that enough time?"

Arthur asked turning to Margot. She did not look up from her work simply nodding.

"She's with Vortigern."

Blue suddenly said from where he stood beside Arthur.

Arthur looked down at the boy.