-24-

⚔︎ Arrows & Goodbyes ⚔︎

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧⋄⋆⋅⋆⋄✧

Renly didn't think one could ever get used to the sight of Arthur Pendragon using Excalibur. It was the sort of thing nightmares were made of and yet she felt completely safe as she watched the true-born king take down their enemies.

An arrow was launched from somewhere on the opposite wall to the one Renly stood by. It sailed through the air and into the fight below. More arrows followed.

She raised her bow knocking back an arrow and firing at the snipers. One by one. Then she set her sights on the Blacklegs down in the courtyard. She might not have a magical sword but she would be damned if she let Arthur be the only one to fight.

She stayed on the wall. She fired arrow after arrow, trying her hardest to ignore Arthur as he fought. She needn't worry about him, she knew that, and yet the urge to look back and check on him was overwhelming.

She moved towards the stairs, slowly walking down them while she still fired arrows at the surrounding Blacklegs. When she finally reached the edge of the staircase everything had stilled.

The fight was over.

Arthur stood surrounded by bodies and chaos. His chest heaving.

She walked slowly over to stand behind him. Her bow was still drawn as she pointed the tip of her arrow wildly around them.

Blacklegs surrounded them at all sides but none of them attacked.

For a moment all was silent.

Then the sound of steel meeting the ground echoed through the courtyard. One by one Blackleg after Blackleg laid down their swords.

Arthur stood there speechless as he watched them surrender.

Renly stood by his side now, her gaze flickering around them, her eyes were filled with a mixture of paranoia and disbelief. It felt slightly surreal to watch the people she had for so long considered the enemy to surrender.

She swallowed thickly before nudging Arthur with her elbow.

"Let's not wait around for them to change their minds."

She muttered under her breath.

Arthur nodded dazedly before grabbing her arm and pulling her out of the courtyard.

The tower stood looming in the distance and Renly came to an abrupt halt as she let her eyes take in the monstrosity. She glanced over at Arthur who was glaring up at the building with determination in his eyes.

They had reached a crossroads. The fight that was going on in the city below could be heard echoing against the stone walls that surrounded them. To their right was a stairwell leading down into the chaos. She couldn't go with him, no matter how much she may have wanted to. This was his fate, and she had to face hers.