CHAPTER 16

CHAPTER 16 - HE'S BACK

ATTORNEY M.Y.A. DEL FIERRO

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

AFTER THAT brief conversation with Simon, I headed back to my office with a renewed focus to complete my pending tasks. I settled into my workspace, the familiar hum of the computer and the soft glow of the desk lamp creating a cocoon of productivity. Tapos na rin kami ni Attorney Liza na mag-usap tungkol sa case na hahawakan namin ni Attorney Benitez. Kinamusta niya lang ako and wishes me good luck for our case.

As the minutes turned into hours, I made steady progress on my tasks. Reports were written, contracts were reviewed, and emails were drafted and sent. The digital clock on my computer monitor ticked away, reminding me that time was passing quickly. With the day's work coming to a close, I made a final sweep of my emails and files, ensuring that nothing was left unresolved. Satisfied with my efforts, I shut down my computer and gathered my belongings. The office was quieter now, the bustling energy of the day fading into a sense of calm. It's almost 6:00 pm in the evening.  I checked my phone if there's any text messages or emails from my friends and family. Bukod sa text ni Simon na ngayon ay nasa Laoag na, my brother who's busy with his works, parents that is also busy with their business, and colleagues, there's nothing interesting.  

I fixed my stuff and myself, dahil may meeting nga daw kami ni Attorney Benitez. The clock on the wall seemed to tick a bit faster as I gathered my things and tidied up my workspace. The transition from the bustling work atmosphere to the serene quiet of the evening felt almost surreal.

I made a way to the elevator to go down, dahil nag-text na sa akin si Attorney Benitez at nasa baba na raw siya at naghihintay. Gosh, why am I so tense?

I let out a deep breath at kinuha ang cellphone ko para i-text si Simon about the meeting I have with Attorney Benitez. I forgot to tell him kanina. 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Simon M.
+639********5

Hey Si, I forgot to
tell you kanina that I
have a dinner meeting with
Attorney Benitez. I hope
you're okay with it.
Sent✓

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

After I sent the message to Simon, ibinalik ko na rin kaagad sa loob ng hand bag ko ang phone. Ihope this meeting will went well. Magpapasundo na lang ako kay Kuya later—if he's not home yet.

Nang makababa na ako ay agad ko namang nakita si Attorney Benitez na nakatayo at nakasandal sa labas ng kotse niya.

As I walked towards him, Attorney Benitez smiled when he saw me. "Good evening," he greeted.

"Good evening, Attorney," I replied, feeling the nervousness in my chest.

"How was your day?" he asked as we approached his car.

"It was okay, just had a lot of work to do at the office," I answered as I settled into the car seat.

As we navigated the streets towards the restaurant, the car remained quiet. I felt a mixture of excitement and apprehension, not quite sure how to initiate conversation with Attorney Benitez, especially given his senior position at our law firm.

Upon arriving at the restaurant, the staff promptly seated us in a cozy corner. I opened the menu, but I couldn't really focus on what was in front of me. Suddenly, Attorney Benitez asked, "Have you decided on your order?"