CHAPTER 17

CHAPTER 17 - WE WON!

ATTORNEY M.Y.A. DEL FIERRO

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

IT WAS as if time had folded back on itself, the present colliding with a past I thought I had moved beyond. Jerrich's unexpected presence in the same restaurant stirred a mix of emotions within me - surprise, discomfort, and a twinge of anxiety. Memories of our tumultuous relationship flooded my mind, reminding me of the heartache and stress that had once consumed me.

As our eyes met, I could see a hint of recognition and surprise on his face as well. It seemed that he hadn't expected to run into me either. Despite the years that had passed since our breakup, the wounds still felt fresh, and the unease in the pit of my stomach was evidence of that fact.

I shifted my gaze away, focusing on my half-eaten meal as a way to divert my thoughts. The atmosphere that had felt so cozy and comforting before now seemed to have lost some of its charm, tainted by the unexpected reunion. I tried to take deep breaths, reminding myself that I had grown since then, that I was stronger now, and that I had no reason to let this encounter ruin my day. 

I took my phone out of my hand bag, I need to talk to Simon. I need someone to talk to right now. Para akong sinasakal dahil sa discomfort na nararamdaman ko ngayon. I called Simon's number, and unfortunately, he didn't answer. He must be busy as the moment. Mas lalo akong nilamon ng anxiety ko nang maaninag ko sa peripheral vision ko na naglalakad siya palapit sa akin. Shit!

I took a deep breath, trying to steady my racing heart as Jerrich's steps brought him closer to my table. The clinking of cutlery and the hum of conversation seemed to fade into the background, leaving only the sound of my own heartbeat echoing in my ears. I felt vulnerable, caught off guard by this unexpected turn of events.

"Yvette, it's been a while," he said as he reach my table. 

I don't want to talk to him. Kapag nakikita ko siya, naaalala ko lang ýong mga kawalang-hiyaang ginawa niya noon. He used me, cheated on me, and hurt me emotionally and mentally. 

I didn't respond, I acted that he's not in front of me. 

"May gana ka talagang 'wag akong pansinin huh?" nakangising wika niya, pero halata mong naiinis na siya. Hindi pa rin ako sumagot, ni hindi nga ako makatingin sa kaniya. "You're the reason why my dad almost disowned me!" madiin at mahina niyang sigaw. This time I looked at him. 

"Me?" hindi makapaniwalang sabi ko habang nakaturo sa sarili. "Honey, no. You and your creepy ass attitude were the reason why your father almost disowned you. 'Wag mong isisi sa akin lahat ng mga nangyayari sa 'yo." I said confidently. I'm trying to make myself looks like I'm unbothered, pero ang totoo ay binabalot na ako nang kaba. 

He didn't answer, but he's intensely looking at me. Para bang anytime ay gusto niya akong sakmalin. 

My words seemed to hit a nerve, and for a moment, a flicker of guilt passed over Jerrich's face. However, it quickly transformed into a cold, calculated expression. He leaned in closer, his voice dropping to a dangerous whisper, "You always had a way of twisting things to your advantage, didn't you, Yvette? But let's not forget who you really are."

My hands clenched into fists under the table, my attempts to remain composed showing signs of strain. "Oh come on, Jerrich. I ain't forgetting who am I. I made my own name, I passed law school and passed the bar exam without your help. Eh ikaw? Sa tingin mo ba papasa ka ng 3rd year mo sa law school without my help?" hindi siya nakasagot, but his gaze remains cold and intense.