Chapter One

"Uh-huh. And what exactly is so interesting?" Lucy sends a teasing glance Tamara's way before glancing pointedly at Austin.

Chris makes his way over to the coffee maker, subconsciously singing under his breath. "♪ ...you'll miss me, while I'm alone and blue as can be ♪"

Lucy suddenly stops talking mid sentence, her face dropping from teasing to absolute dread and fear. Memories of suffocating and dirt flash through her mind, the musky smell of the old house, Caleb's unbecoming cologne, the feeling of losing hope. Her head was flooded with her worst moment.

"You okay?" Lucy vaguely heard the foggy voice of Tamara.

"♪ Dream a little dream... ♪" Chris continued, not paying any attention to the affect it had on Lucy.

"♪ ...of me ♪" Lucy finished the lyric.

Chris freezes, "I'm so sorry. It was in my head. I wasn't thinking. I-It was thoughtless and stupid, and I'm sorry." He rushes over to apologize.

"The song was stuck in your head because you've... because you've seen the video." Lucy's voice was as quiet as anyone had ever heard it. She was usually so loud and uplifting, but not right now. Right now, she was broken.

"Well, yeah. It's evidence." Chris responded nonchalantly, as though the video of her dying was a nightly sitcom.

"Right, right. No, of course you did. You're in the D.A.'s office, and it's evidence, so...you've..." Lucy tried to even out her voice, the thought of anyone seeing that video made her sick. The easiness in Chris' voice though almost made her feel like her reaction was over dramatic.

"Lucy, I should have told you I'd seen it. I'm sorry." Chris still had the tone in his voice implying he deserved to see it, almost as though he felt entitled to her pain.

"No, you said that part already. Um... I just -- I just need a minute." Lucy couldn't do it anymore, she had tried but she could no longer pretend that she felt okay or safe in this conversation.

"Lucy, p--" Chris started.

"Please, can you..." Lucy paused. Can he what? Nothing between them going forward would ever be the same.

"Yeah." Chris clearly had no idea what he was agreeing to, however he also knew that she needed to be away from him.

Lucy quickly leaves the room to find Tamara. Thankfully Chris did not follow her. Tamara was already down at the door keys in hand.

"I know you don't like my driving but there's no way I'm letting you behind the wheel right now, okay?" Tamara had a stern yet concerned look on her face. Lucy just nodded and got in the passenger seat.