Chapter Four

Lucy's head was ringing.

"I'll see you soon, Lucy." Chris' words reverberated in her ears.

"Lucy... Lucy... LUCY!" Tim's voice brought her back, he was standing in her bedroom doorway. "Are you okay?"

"Huh?" Lucy meet Tim's gaze, his eyes were full of concern. "O-oh, yeah, I-I'm okay." She was lying. Tim knew she was lying. She knew Tim knew she was lying, but he let her.

Tim's disbelieving eyes scanned over her, no doubt making sure Chris didn't touch her. "What happened? I couldn't hear everything."

"I broke up with him." Lucy allowed herself a quick glance at Tim's face. It wasn't that she expected a huge reaction, but she thought his face would show something. It didn't, he was as stoic as ever. "He said that I should be over what Caleb did to me, and that..." a lump formed in her throat. "That I should be grateful because if Rosalind had been the one t-to take me... I'd be dead right now." Lucy took a deep breath. "After he said that I kind of yelled at him and told him to leave. He did say that he would see me soon though. I think he knew you were here too."

Tim had come out of her doorway and joined her in the living room now. "So he threatened you? And why do you think he knew I was here?" Lucy could tell he was on edge by the harsh tone of his voice.

"He told me to tell you goodbye when he left." Lucy looked at Tim questioningly as he looked around the room.

"Lucy there is now way he should know I'm here, I have nothing out here and I drove Ashley's car here." Lucy's heart stung a bit when he mentioned Ashley.

Realization struck, "Then how did he know you were here?"

"I don't know. I'm worried he's watching your apartment." Tim was in full cop mode now. He was checking potential wire spots and looking out the windows and possible vantage points.

"No, no. Chris wouldn't do that. He's probably just hurt that I broke up with him and he wanted to scare me." Whether Lucy believed what she was saying or not, she couldn't accept that she had put herself in a Caleb situation again.

"Luce..." She knew Tim was going to tell her to look at everything with cop eyes, but she couldn't. Not right now.

"Tim, please. Chris isn't Caleb." Lucy could hear the pleading in her voice.

Tim studied her face. "Okay," Tim hesitated. Do you feel safe staying her tonight?" He crossed the living room towards her.

"Yeah, I'll be okay." Lucy tried to hide the waver in her voice.

Tim looked at her for a while before responding. "Okay, do you need anything?"

Lucy's mind flashed back to a similar moment between them. "A hug?"

"Yeah, yeah of course." Tim quickly stepped forward and pulled her into him. He wrapped his strong arms around her as she put her head against his chest. She felt him rest his chin on top of her head. Tim's scent was overwhelming.

The moment between them was interrupted by Tim's phone ringing.

Tim pulled away from Lucy. "Oh umm, it's Ashley." He held up a finger motioning one second.

"Hey, Ash." Tim answered.

Lucy couldn't hear what Ashley was saying but her tone sounded concerned.

"I know, I'm sorry. I needed to-" Ashley interrupted him.

"Soon." Tim looked apologetically towards Lucy.

"Okay, bye." Tim ended the call. "I'm sorry about that."

"It's okay. How's Ashley?" Lucy attempted to hide any possible tone of jealousy.

"Good, she was just wondering when I would be home."

"Oh, do you need to go?" Lucy sounded disappointed to her own ears.

"Lucy, do you need me to stay?"

All Lucy wanted to say in the moment was how much she wanted Tim to stay there. She thought back to the night they lost Jackson. Tim had let her stay with him. He had been so kind. Lucy's thoughts drifted to a few minutes ago, his strong arms wrapped around her, just like that night. The look they had given each other after, his blue eyes looking into hers. Lucy's heart fluttered at the thought of the intimacy of that night, how she wished the call had never come.

"No, you should go home. It's late." Lucy attempted a smile. She knew Tim couldn't stay, he was with Ashley. It would be a bad idea to let Tim stay with her when she felt the way she did about him.

Tim looked hesitant, almost like he wanted her to tell him to stay. "Yeah, okay. Umm, call me, if you need... anything."

"I will. Thank you, Tim." Lucy walked with him over to the door and watched as he stalled.

"You have your off duty weapon?"

"Yeah, it's in my safe."

"Good, good... make sure to lock your door."

Lucy's smile was genuine now, small, but genuine. "I will. Believe it or not, I was trained to defend myself by the best."

Tim smirked. "Yeah, you're right. See you tomorrow, Officer Chen."

"Goodnight Tim."

"Night Lucy."