Chapter Ten

Lucy looked through the break room window. Smitty told her that Katie refused to leave until she had any information at all regarding Darla. It broke Lucy's heart to know the only information she would be receiving today was a death notice. Lucy took a deep breath. She thought about Darla, her small body packed tightly into the barrel, her nails coated in dried blood from scrapping at the lid. The fresh tattoo inked onto her skin, still pink and raw. Shivers shot down her spine. That could have been Lucy. If it hadn't been for Tim... No, she couldn't be thinking about this right now. She had to go and ruin a poor woman's life.

"Katie?" She kept her voice soft but professional. She had to handle this like a cop.

Katie shot to her feet. Hope filling her features. "Lucy. D-do you know something?"

"Yes we do." Lucy pulled out a chair and motioned for Katie to sit down. "About 30 minutes ago we found Darla's body." Katie's face fell. Lucy reached forward and grabbed her hand. "I am so sorry."

Tears started falling down Katie's shocked features. "W-who did it? Who k-killed her?"

"We don't know yet. The medical examiner is looking at her body now to see if there's anything it can tell us about our suspect, or a location."

"How?" Katie was still crying.

"Katie, I don't think you-"

"How, Lucy." Angry tears flooded down Katie's face as her voice rose.

Lucy searched Katie's devastated expression, she was serious. "Suffocation."

Katie took a deep, jagged breath. "Okay. What now?"

"Now, you go home. Or at least somewhere you feel safe and comfortable. We already have your statement, and if there is anything else we need to discuss with you, we'll call you in." Lucy couldn't help but feel sorry for Katie. She remembered how hard it was to lose Jackson, the thought of losing someone you're in love with was unimaginable. Her thoughts drifted towards Tim before she could stop herself. Lucy didn't know exactly what she felt for him, she did know that the idea of losing him, of his lifeless body, was the worst thing that could happen in her life.

Katie stood up. "Thank you, Lucy. I know you did everything you could." Lucy nodded in response and then watched as Katie exited the room.

Lucy put her head in her hands, tears started falling down her face. Everything that had happened today was too much, all of the fear and desperation had finally overcome her. The dark ink on her side burned as though it was fresh all over again. Lucy was sobbing now, panic filled her body and she started choking. She felt as though she was back in that damn barrel, underground and dying.

"Lucy!" Strong arms wrapped around her, a large hand cupped her cheek.

Lucy looked up and was met with the most beautiful blue eyes. "Tim?"

"Hey, yeah. I'm here. You're okay." He pulled her into him and raked his fingers through her hair. "You're okay." Lucy gripped his shirt, her body was shaking but Tim's embrace brought her so much comfort.

The two sat in silence for a while. Tim stroking her hair until her tears subsided. "Lucy, I'm so sorry I wasn't here sooner."

"Tim, no. Don't do that."

"Do what?" Confusion filled his eyes.

"Don't find a reason to put blame on yourself. You couldn't have know any of this would happen." Lucy's voice was raw from crying.

"Lucy, some psychopath sent you a dead body in an oil barrel." Tim's voice was loud and angry. "That wasn't a coincidence."

Lucy looked into Tim's worried eyes. "You think this has something to do with me?"

"I don't think we should rule it out. Why would the barrel be addressed specifically to you if the killer didn't want to scare you, o-or threaten you?"

"I don't know. M-maybe because I responded to the call this morning." Lucy knew she was bargaining, but she needed Tim to be wrong. This couldn't have anything to do with her.

Tim stared at her for a while. Probably taking in the desperation she knew was all over her face. "I hope you're right, Luce." He stood up and pulled Lucy to her feet. "Come on, I'm taking you home."

"You don't have to do that?"

"I know." Tim put his hand on her lower back. Sparks shot through her spine. "But I'm going to anyway. Then, I'm going to sleep on your couch." Tim started leading her towards the door.

"Tim n-"

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did something I say make you believe this was up for debate?" Tim looked at her expectantly. Lucy's mouth sat open but no words came out. "That's what I thought. Let's go."

Tim walked Lucy out to the parking lot. He kept his hand on her back the entire time it was soft, that is until she tried to go towards her car. Tim's hand moved and tightened on her hip, maneuvering her to the passenger side of his truck. Lucy was to exhausted to argue, she simply stepped up into the cab, letting Tim shut the door behind her.

The ride to her apartment felt like eternity. Neither of them spoke, they simply sat in a comfortable silence. Every now and then Lucy felt Tim glancing at her before returning his attention to the road.

"You know, Lucy." She turned to look at Tim, he didn't meet her gaze." When we met, I was going through one of the hardest moments in my life. Isabel was deep in her addiction and I wasn't doing anything to help. I enabled her and I know that now." He sounded nervous, why did he sound so nervous? "The worst part is I took out my guilt and hurt on those around me. On you." He said this part more quietly. "You were the first person to stand up to me." Tim smiled softly. Lucy couldn't take her eyes away from him, why was he saying all of this? Of course, Tim practically read her mind. "Look, I'm telling you this because you've become my best friend, and my safe space. I want to be that for you too, especially now."

They were parked in the lot of Lucy's apartment now. "Tim, you already are." He looked at her now, surprised covered his face. "You've been my safe space for a while now. Why else do you think I ignored that 'personal life free zone rule'?" She said the last part in a joking deep voice, earning a scoff and smile from Tim. "Really though, you're my best friend too. Thank you, for being here for me through this."

"Always." His voice was soft, and caring. Lucy felt like her heat was going to jump out of her chest.

"We should go upstairs" She needed to deescalate her feelings and the only way she could do that right now, was to get out of the car. 

"Right." Tim looked away from her before turning of his truck.

The pair climbed out of Tim's truck and headed upstairs.

"I'll take the couch." Tim moved to lay down.

Lucy gently grabbed his arm. "No, don't be silly." He looked at her confused. "Take my bed, I'll sleep in with Tamara."

"Lucy the couch is fine."

"As the owner of said couch, I promise you it's not. Come on." Lucy pulled Tim towards her room. She went over to her dresser and grabbed some pajamas. "Here, I still have the clothes you let me use when I stayed at your place." She placed his clothes on the bed.

"Thanks." Tim's voice was quiet, he also had a look Lucy wasn't used to. It looked like a mix of shock and confusion, as though he didn't know how he felt about something.

"I guess, I'll see you in the morning." Lucy gave him a soft smile before turning and shutting the door.

As soon as she reached Tamara's room she was greeted with a teasing look. "What?" Lucy heard the skepticism in her voice.

"Oh you know, just wondering how well you're going to sleep tonight thinking of Officer Zaddy in your bed."

"Wha- Tamara!"

Tamara let out an exaggerated maniacal laugh before turning away from Lucy.

Lucy let out a sigh. Great, now she'll never get to sleep.