Chapter Three

It's been weeks since Matteo came to Ophelia's room. He's back to ignoring her unless she taunts him with a fight. Even then their fights have been more intense, different. Ophelia couldn't have possibly hurt his feelings, he would have to have feelings to begin with. In these few weeks she has grown closer to Theo. She's never enjoyed her time with a friend like him. She usually kicked them right to the curb the minute feelings became evident. Ophelia tried to tell herself that being friends first was the reason it all felt different. She knew Theo caught feelings, he wasn't very secretive by it. What scared her the most was the slow realization that she was catching feelings for him too. She actually enjoyed spending time with him, getting to know him, letting him get to know her. She was beginning to wonder if dating someone, dating Theo wasn't as bad as she kept telling herself.

Theo had detention that night for pranking Enzo to interrupt Snape's lessons with bird squawking, which Enzo was surprisingly good at. In the common room Pansy was braiding Ophelia's long red hair as she went on and on about the Slytherin party they were going to have this weekend. She could feel like she was being watched, her eyes looking around the room as she landed on Matteo's deep brown eyes narrowed on hers. "What is your problem, Riddle" she snaps. He sits up leaning on his legs, his eyes never leaving hers. "Not everything is about you princess" his voice was cool and taunting. "Clearly something's bothering you, or do you just have a staring problem?" he rolled his eyes at her, sitting back in his chair once again. "You know what. My problem is you, Ophelia. You claim you don't do relationships yet you look pretty cozy with Theo......dare I say like he's your boyfriend." his eyebrow raises at her. "Fuck off Riddle. I could end things with Theo at any time. It's just sex." she snaps at him, the corner of his lips turn into a smirk. She hated that smirk, really hated it.

Theo walks in a shocked hurt look all over his face, Ophelia felt her chest tightening, frozen in her spot as she watched him walk towards the boys dormitory. This was the exact reason she didn't do relationships, she would just end up breaking someone's heart. He ignored Ophelia calling after him. Her withering glare comes boring into Matteo. "How dare you. You knew he was coming." her lips turned up in a snarl. "He's your best mate, Riddle. I understand your need to hurt me. Your need to always find a way to break me in some way......" she pauses as his smirk leaves his lips, eyes softening at her words. "He doesn't deserve to be in this twisted game of ours. He doesn't deserve to be hurt, because you want to see me damaged." she could feel the tears pooling in her eyes. She couldn't let them see her cry, more specifically she couldn't let him see her cry. She stands up heading for the stairs "Ophelia wait, I didn't...." it was already too late. She was long gone by the time he tried to finish his sentence. The other three looked at him a mix of shock and disappointment.

Matteo wasn't use to all these new feelings he recently discovered he had. Turns out he might be slightly jealous of Theo and Ophelia. He also might be a little hurt that she turned him down. He selfishly wanted to ruin whatever it was those two had going on. He saw the way Theo was looking at her, and for a girl that claimed she didn't do relationships she was getting pretty close to him. He thought maybe Theo was the guy that was going to change her mind about dating, and he didn't like that idea. He's been battling this inner war, wondering if he truly hated her all this time. Or if it was something else, disguised as hate. Because hate doesn't break your heart, love does and Matteo felt dangerously close to feeling something he's never allowed himself to feel for a girl. 

Ophelia made her way to the boys side of the dormitory. She found Theo's room as she began knocking on the door. She wasn't expecting him to answer, she wouldn't have if the roles were reversed. After a few moments of knocking without a response she decided to leave. She had just started walking off when he opened the door. His face said everything he was feeling, hurt, heartbroken, embarrassed. Theo felt like a proper idiot for thinking she liked him back, liked him the way he liked her. These past few weeks have been amazing, she was opening up to him. He could feel the shift in their "friendship", or he thought that's what was happening.