Chapter Four

Ophelia was embarrassed, she couldn't believe she broke down like that in front of him. Not just anyone, Matteo Riddle. The one guy who hated her just as much as she hated him. She wanted this year to be different. Her summer break was the worst she's ever had to endure. The older Ophelia got, the more and more she looked like her mother. It only angered her father further, during some of the more rougher beatings he would yell out her mothers name. She wasn't allowed to heal herself because of the trace. There were so many broken ribs, deep bruises, and cuts she had to tend to. Had to use her knowledge of herbology to help relieve the pain. Something broke inside her this summer. She didn't know if it was some of her fiery spirit, or if she lost a piece of her soul. Either way she was different this year, a weaker version of herself.

Theo found her in the courtyard at their designated group hangout spot. He stood back watching her take a photo of a Kneazle that has been hanging around the courtyard a lot lately. Theo was confident that the Kneazle was only coming around to see Ophelia. Theo thought it was funny to watch this "tough girl" melt like a puddle around any magical creature. Ophelia's favorite course at Hogwarts was care of magical creatures, she had a real soft spot for it. Rolf Scamander was one of her closes friends outside of her Slytherin group. He was a great study partner, he knew an incredibly excessive amount of knowledge on magical creatures. It helped that she found his quirkiness to be refreshing, she could let her hard exterior down. She enjoyed her time with Rolf, he was a great friend to have and she was grateful for him.

She was taking pictures of the beautiful cat-like creature, the light breeze ruffling it's beautiful fluffy lion like mane and tail. Ophelia really loved the way it's fur was uniquely speckled. Another few snaps from her camera as she smiled at the cat, her hand coming out for her to inspect it. She trotted up to her outstretched hand before letting Ophelia pet her. Kneazle were intelligent and independent creatures and could be a good pet if they bond to a wizard or witch. 

She heard the footsteps of someone coming up behind her, the breeze bringing his scent to her....cigarettes and vanilla. "Riddle" she says nonchalantly. He sits down next to her a small smile on his lips as he sees the Kneazle. "You know I think this pretty lady has bonded to you" he tells her. The Kneazle leaving Ophelia's petting to lay in Matteo's lap, his hand coming to pet her. "Or maybe she bonded with you" her eyebrows cock at him, his chuckle warming the pit of her stomach. She almost forgot about yesterday, those chocolate hues reminding her suddenly. She looks away her cheeks burning in embarrassment.

Theo watched from where he stood as Matteo and Ophelia talked on the grass, jealousy was churning in his stomach. They weren't fighting, just talking which only made the jealousy worse. 

Matteo see's the blush spreading across her cheeks. "Ophelia about yesterday..." he started but she stops him quickly. "We don't have to bring up one of the more embarrassing moments of my life." her voice wavered with an emotion Matteo couldn't quite figure out. "Are you okay?" his voice was gentle, Ophelia wasn't use to that. Her eyes snapping to his, they looked at her warmly catching her off guard once again. "Why do you care, Matteo" her brows pinching in confusion. "Something you said the other day....I don't know it made me realize that maybe I was being...." he was interrupted by Theo sitting down on the opposite side of Ophelia, pulling her into him. Matteo's jaw clenching as he watched them, Theo kissing her cheek marking his territory in front of him in warning. He gently scoops up the Kneazle setting her in Ophelia's lap, standing as he goes to walk away. "Matteo" she calls after him, he doesn't bother turning around "Don't worry about it princess, it was stupid." he responds his back facing them. His head drooping for a moment before he shakes off his little pity party. Holding his head up and walking confidently away. She watches him a sense of concern washing over her for a brief moment.

It's been weeks since her and Matteo's moment in the courtyard, since then he's kept his distance. She noticed his revolving door of women has been surprisingly nonexistent lately. Something was going on with him, she hated to admit that she kind of missed their taunting and teasing. Class was about to wrap up and Ophelia was trying to work up the nerve to push his buttons. She looks at him from the corner of her eyes, noticing the way he was watching her leg bounce up and down. It was a nervous habit most days, specifically when she didn't know how a situation was going to end. A nasty habit she could thank her father for.

Snape handed out their papers on Resisting the Imperius Curse. Ophelia noticed her marks were higher than Matteo's. "Is it possible the day has finally come that I bested Matteo Riddle yet again?" she questions him, a cocky smirk on her lips. He rolls his eyes turning his paper over annoyed. "You wish Selwyn" his voice was sharp. She leans closer to him, her lips whisper in his ear "I don't know it looks to me like a girl is beating you fair and square, Riddle" she teases. His head tilts towards her, their faces only inches apart. There was that fiery intense stare she has been missing, Matteo's eyes trail down to her lips seeing the smirk meant just for him. "You're ruining my life, Ophelia." his voice barely above a whisper. She flinches back her eyes searching his, she couldn't make out the emotion in them. "Matteo I..." her voice stopping as she realizes he's leaning in, closing the space between them. Her eyes trailing down to his soft lips....she needed to stop this. She was dating Theo, but she couldn't stop watching him lean in. He wanted to kiss her.....why did she want to kiss him too? His lips were almost on hers, she snaps out of her trance "Theo" she rushes out before she stands abruptly bolting out the door.