Chapter Nine

Matteo never thought he would feel an inner rage that was boiling so hot that he dared to kill a man. He never wanted to turn out like his father, in fact he prided himself on making sure he was nothing like him. Yet here he sat for several hours as he held the hand of his enemy as she lay in the hospital bed beaten and broken at the hands of her father. Dumbledore spent sometime with the boy trying to comfort him a few hours ago. It didn't help the guilt Matteo had felt for how he treated her all these years. He knew when she woke up she would be pissed that he was the one that found her....would be angry that he was holding her hand but he was determined to be here for her whether she wanted him to or not. 

Pansy and Enzo came back earlier from Christmas break as they rushed to Ophelia's side. Enzo had to practically peel Matteo's hand out of hers making him eat and shower. "You will be no good to her when she wakes if you don't take care of yourself first." Pansy tells him. Matteo looks at her laying in the bed not wanting to leave her side. "Matteo" Pansy says trying to get his attention. His eyes slowly trail up to meet Pansy's intense stare. "Go eat and shower. Enzo and I got her don't worry." she tries to reassure him. "You will come get me right away if she wakes?" he questions. They both nod their heads at him. "We promise." Enzo pats his back as he shoves him gently out the door. 

Matteo scarfed down some stew before taking a quick shower, he didn't realize how stiff and sore he had become sitting in that hospital chair for so long until the hot water beat down on his worn body. He had just gotten his clothes on when Enzo busted through his door. His eyes wide as they meet Matteo's stare. "She's awake" his voice out of breath. Matteo bolted from his spot as he sprinted towards the hospital wing not realizing he was barefoot. He passes the copper fountain with a unicorn statue over it as he slams open the double doors, bounding over to Ophelia's bed. He struggles to catch his breath as he skids to a stop just a few feet from her. She was sitting up as Pansy helped her drink some water. Her eyes slowly meeting his, a mixture of embarrassment and thankfulness in those icy blues. 

Matteo's heart was thundering with each step he took closer to hers. He didn't know whether to hug her or kiss her, the emotions running rampid in his body was overwhelming him. He went with the safer option as his hand slid into hers, he felt the nerves that were wreaking havoc on his body start to calm. "You look like shit" he whispers, Ophelia couldn't help the laugh that escaped her lips. "Ditto" she says her eyes meeting his again as the corner of her lips tilt into a small smile. She looks down a little embarrassed before raising an eyebrow at him smirking. "No shoes?" she questions him as his eyebrows bunch in confusion, he looks down to see he in fact ran out before putting on his shoes. "Their overrated." he smirks. Pansy clears her throat gaining both their attention. "I'll leave you two alone for a moment. I'll come by later." she smiles leaning down to give Ophelia a gentle hug. "I love you Boo" she said softly before leaving them alone. 

Matteo sits on the side of her bed refusing to let go of her hand. She watches him carefully as he stares at their hands intertwined. "Ophelia..." he begins but she stops him. "Wait....I need to....shit. I'm not good at this kind of thing...apologizing or whatever....but you know unfuck yourself." she says cringing. "That sounded awful the moment it left my lips." her face was scrunched in disgust at her words. Matteo grins at her "The amazing Ophelia Selwyn is apologizing to me, Matteo Riddle?" he mocks being shocked. "I'm about to unfuck your apology" she states with narrowed eyes. "Apologies are easy. I'll give you an example" he smiles cockily. 

Their eyes locking on one another that once cocky look replaced with a more serious one. "Ophelia I fucked up. What you overheard that night in the common room....it wasn't how I felt....it isn't how I feel. I was being an idiot not wanting to admit what I've been feeling for you. Instead I acted like a proper asshole and I know my reason is not an excuse. What I did is unforgivable.....but I need you to know that I like you....I don't really know when these feelings changed or if I've buried them deep down inside for the last six years. What I do know is finding you near death right outside of school will forever haunt me. I don't want to spend the rest of our time pretending I hate you....I don't want to spend this time acting like I give damn about this stupid game we have been in. All I want is to explore whatever this is between us...." he pauses lowering his head. "I'm sorry Ophelia..." his sincerity was echoing in his voice. Ophelia couldn't help the tears that freely flowed down her cheeks. She wanted to hate Matteo so desperately.....wanted to ignore these feelings that were overwhelming her as she ignored them. The idiot had to go save her and say all these amazing nice things to her. Fuck she was crumbling like a first year with a crush. 

"Damnit Riddle, this is a whole new level of moronic, even for you......I'm the worst person to fall for." She looks down at their hands watching the way his thumb caressed the top of her hand. Her eyes trailing slowly up to see him staring at her intently. "I'm terrified of my feelings for you but I think I'm more terrified of the idea of never trying to see where this goes." her voice was soft almost hesitant. Matteo could feel the warmth radiating in his body at her words. "We'll go at your pace....no rush. I'm not expecting you to be head over heels for me yet." he teases as she rolls her eyes at him. "I will wait until you are ready for it all because honestly Ophelia I don't want anyone else....no matter how hard I tried it was always you....it will always be you." 

Matteo's free hand comes up to hook under her chin as he runs his thumb over her lips, the feel making her nerves tingle. He tilts her head up as he leans in their lips a breath apart as his chocolate eyes search hers for any objection, he watches her lips tilt into a smile. In one swift second his lips meet hers his forehead pressing against hers as he deepens the kiss. All of their kisses before were heated and needy but this one was soft, gentle...it was a kiss that felt like time stood still. Ophelia was unable to open her eyes for a few moments after Matteo pulled away, she was awestruck by their kiss. Something she would never admit to anyone including Matteo, she didn't need to give him a bigger ego. When she opens her eyes she was stunned to see the way he was staring at her, like she was the reason his world contiuned to spin. Unlike the overwhelming anxiety she felt when her and Theo decided to give it a go, Ophelia felt nothing but overwhelming peace....which terrified her even more.