Switches

This one shot is where everyone has magic, except for Exer, who fakes it. This absolutely wonderful idea was suggested by Josi3Krab, go follow them! :)

This is from Jackson's POV

I always noticed how Exer Campbell, was weird. Everyone loved him, but he was weird. He never did magic, but always made excuses. He'd say 'I'd blow you away. Literally.' And 'Sorry, I can't right now, I am too tired.'

That guy was so full of himself! I bet he couldn't blow me away if he tried. I saw him walk by in the hallway, but before I could confront him, floating on a yellow, sparkling mist came David Miller, Exer's best friend. "Hey Ex!" He exclaimed and hugged him. Exer hugged David back and I saw his cheeks flush. Hmm.

David whispered something to Exer, and I saw Exer's eyes widen. I shut my eyes and used my powers to hear what they were saying. "Meet me behind the school during lunch." I opened my eyes and decided to follow them later.

I looked for a while, and after seeing yellow sparkles float around the brick behind the school, I saw Exer full on French kissing David. I felt my jaw drop. That made sense, but damn! "Exer!" I pulled him off of David. David's eyes widened and he grinned nervously, and said "Got ya!" I glared at David and back at Exer. "Exer, use your powers."

His eyes widened and he mumbled about being tired. I pinned him to the wall with my ruby red magic. "Are you sure?" Yellow mist slammed into me, and I fell over. "What the hell Jackson?!" Exclaimed David. I lazily raised a hand and David was also pinned to the wall. I searched Exer and found a tube of green glitter. "Glitter?" I noticed the sheen and color, and with realization, poured some out. "Exer. You pretend this is your powers, don't you? You don't have any."

Exer looked ashamed and nodded. I released him and David. "You don't have any?" I asked blandly. "I have nothing." Whispered Exer sadly. David patted Exer on the back and glared at me. I shrugged. "Can you do anything?" I questioned. Exer stuck his hands out and concentrated, and he should have had green mist swarming him, but no color even left his finger tips or eyes.

Exer's eyes teared up a little. "Please don't report me Jackson!" He begged. I didn't know what would happen if the police got him, but it probably wouldn't be good. "Here let me try something. I am going to enter your mind and find out why you can't use magic. Okay?"

He nodded. I grabbed his jacket and felt the magic surge through me. It went up his nose, in his ears, and eyes.

Image from book, edited by me

He gasped as the magic rushed in, and Exer went limp. I let go of him and he slumped against the wall. I touched his temple, and was transmitted into his mind. I looked at my hands. Well, Exer's hands. I stood up and saw myself which was weird. My body had fallen unconscious to the ground. I heard Exer in the back of my mind. Well, his mind.

"Woah this is weird!" I heard him say. I stuck Exer's hands out and concentrated on a rock. I was going to attempt lifting it. But nothing came out. I tried to lift that rock with all I had, but couldn't. I touched my forehead, and was transmitted back to my body.

"Yep. You can't do anything Exer. Sorry, I can't do anything." Exer looked sad and David put his arm around him. Oh well, not my problem. I turned and left.

Later that day a police officer came into the physics class and told us that there was a student here who had no magic, and they must be arrested. The guy also offered a hefty cash prize for whoever finds out who it is. I was about to raise my hand to claim that prize money, but I saw Exer. He looked terrified.

I felt a pang of pity. "What are you going to do with them mate?" Asked Norman, the school president. The police officer told us about how they would dissect the person, and sew them back together. They then would send them to a lab until returned home. Well, if he was going to go home anyways, there was no problem turning him in, right?

I raised my hand, and when I was about to speak, David stood up and said it was him. The students looked confused because David always used his powers, but a determination was on his face. Exer grabbed David's hand, but David just stared the police officer dead in the eye.

The police officer put handcuffs on David, but Exer jumped up and tried to get the handcuffs off David. David pulled his hands away, and then he put his hand cuffed arms up and over Exer's head and hugged him tightly. Exer hugged David back. The police officer tried to pull Exer away, and when he wouldn't let go, he thrust a taser into Exer's side.

Exer went rigid, and the police officer pulled David to the door. "No! Stop! He has magic! I don't! I DON'T!" Hollered Exer but the officer ignored him and hauled David out the door. Everyone was stunned to silence. No one moved. Exer stood up shakily and sprinted out the door.

Everyone stood up and we heard a commotion in the hallway. When we got out there, we saw Exer trying to attack the officer but the cop had a navy blue wall of mist blocking the frantic teenager from getting to his boyfriend. Exer took a step back and concentrated with all his might, hand outstretched. But no magic blossomed from his fingertips.

Suddenly, a dark ebony filtered into the officer's nostrils and he passed out, the wall dissipating. Pamela stood behind the cop, the deep mist flickered eeirely in her eyes and faded out quickly. She rushed over to David and uncuffed him. David rubbed his wrists and smiled as Exer practically threw himself onto David, hugging him tightly.

"Never do that again Day!" Exer had tears in his eyes, and relief was plastered on his face. "No promises." David grinned as Exer, through his tears, snorted with laughter. Pamela crouched down and shut her eyes. She filtered magic into the officer's mind and picked up his walkie talkie.

In the police man's gruff voice she told the other cops, "The search is off boys. No more need to search, the news about the kid with no magic was fake, everyone has magic, we tested them." Then Pam put the walkie talkie down and stood up.

"I wiped the officer's mind to believe the story. We are safe!" Everyone cheered and Exer, wiping his eyes ran over and hugged Pamela. "Thank you Pamela, thank you! I owe you one." Pamela looked tired, but happy as she hugged Exer, patting him on the back.

I felt a little guilty. I had caused this trouble, but everything had gotten resolved. Exer walked over to me. "Hey Jackson!" I looked up and Exer punched me dead center in the face. It hurt like hell. "Ow! Okay, shit, I deserved that." I added. Exer nodded and everyone went back to their normal days.

Hey, I guess everything went well. Guess I'll think twice before raising my hand next time.

©2023, All Rights Reserved