Chapter fourteen - Sugar low!

"Of course, of all the crappy caves, you had to fall into the one with the most unstable tunnels! You're fucking lucky you're still alive!"

It had been a while now since the two Candy Land brawlers were found by Jacky and Carl, but Jacky would not stop cursing loudly at anything she could think of as the four of them made their way back to the earth surface.

After the robots had arrived, all the brawlers had been summoned again and a long Battle had led to further earthquakes. When all the robots were finally defeated, Dynamike, his helpers and his canary descended into the old, unused tunnel system to search for the missing, which two of them finally succeeded in doing.

"Well, it could have been worse," Carl said, whose lamp provided the necessary light. "Imagine if they fell in the chamber with the jewels that turned Brawlers into giant monsters, then..."

"OH NO! NEVER AGAIN THE SHIT!!! I'll drink Shelly's cat's piss before I must fight one of those shitty things again!"

She's worse than Mandy, Chester thought with a grin.

Carl put his hand on Jack's shoulder soothingly and gradually she began to relax. Right! Wasn't it said the two were a couple?! Chester thought he'd heard something like that. If that's true, then he admired Carl for putting up with such an energetic girl. It must take him nerves of steel just to endure all her heavy curses.

On the other hand... Chester turned his head to Mandy, who walked silently beside him. Although she still looked pale, the sour expression on her face had returned. Her silky hair bobbed with every step, and she held her staff with firm determination.

Who was he kidding? He could understand only too well how Carl could love someone like Jacky.

Curious to see what would happen, he took her hand.

Surprisingly, Mandy didn't pull her hand away but closed her fingers around his.

It felt good.

The prankster was just about to let his gaze wander forward again when he noticed a strange detail in Mandy's hair. Along with all the dust and dirt, there was... blood?! No! Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a reptile scale, probably one of Buzette's.

How did that get there...

***

Mandy felt Chester's thumb brush the back of her hand. She didn't know exactly why she had taken it. Normally she would have pulled her hand away and punched him, but today she must already be sugar low!

Well, the opportunity to beat Chester would surely come again soon. If she caught him hiding stink bombs in the store, or pouring mint drops into the coke bottles, or sawing a leg of her throne, or...

"And here we are!" Carl announced as they reached an old-fashioned mining elevator. Far above them was a small bright dot.

The daylight! it shot through Mandy's head and excitedly she squeezed Chester's hand tighter. They would finally leave this darkness!

After everyone was on the platform, Carl slashed the counterbalance rope with one of his blade throws, and the four brawlers were pulled up.