Chapter 3

Timeskip
(The next day)

Daeun's pov

I walked into the kitchen for breakfast before going to school, and I saw my mom setting down my bowl of cereal.

"Daeun, something came in the mailbox for you. It's there"
She said.

I sat down and opened an envelope that had my name on it. It had a letter in it.

Letter:
Check your locker before going to class. I left something in there for you.
-Puma

Weirdo, who would use 'Puma' as a nickname.

Who even is this?

"Who is it from??"
My mom asked.

"No idea"
I replied, munching on my cereal.

Timeskip
(Recess)

"Just come with me!!"
I tugged on Sujae's arm.

I was scared to see what was in my locker, but I needed to get my books for the periods after recess.

"Ugh fine. There's not gonna be anything in there anyway. The letter was probably just a prank"
Sujae stood up, walking past me.

I followed her to where my locker was and I unlocked it for her. She opened it calmly and grabbed something.

"Is this the 'something'?"
-Sujae

She suddenly showed me an insect, its feelers held between her fingers. When she nearly shoved it in my face, I realised it was a cockroach.

A loud scream escaped my throat, I could hear my own echo reverberating in the hallways.

"Gosh, it's fake. Daeun, have you woken up today??"
She threw the piece of plastic towards me, making me flinch again.

It landed on the floor and I made a disgusted face.

"That's exactly why I asked you to come with me"
I pointed at the fake roach.

"Oh Jaeyun"
Sujae waved behind me.

I turned to see Jake and Niki walking to us. The taller one had a huge grin on his face.

"Daeun~ Did you like the surprise??"
Niki skipped towards me.

"Huh? Wait- YOU!"
I pushed Niki back.

But I failed, he barely moved. I hate how I have to lift up my head just to look him in the eye. What do his parents feed him?

"It would have been more fun if you opened it yourself"
He laughed, picking up the cockroach on the floor.

"Throw that away. And what a waste of money"
I sighed.

"As long as I can have a little fun, my pocket won't hurt, Daeun"
He placed the piece of plastic on my shoulder.

I rolled back my shoulder, panicking, and it fell to the ground again. I grab my books and then close my locker.

"I'm ticklish with these kinds of things. Let's go Sujae. Bye Jake, make sure he doesn't waste any more money"
I glanced at Niki, before walking away.

He sure knows how to get on my nerves.

______________________

Niki's pov

"Don't you think you should stop playing around and tell her you like her? It's been 2 years"
Jake said.

"But...how? I do not do cheesy stuff"
I waved my hands in front of me.

"Find some place quiet and romantic enough to confess when no one's around. Don't beat around the bush"
He said.

"How? It's not like she's going to accept it knowing how I act"
I leaned my back against the locker.

"It's up to her if she's accepting it or not. But it's better if you get it off your chest, you know what I'm saying?"
-Jake

"You're one to talk. I'm not that brave, unlike you, saying every girl who walks by is pretty out loud. You should consider adding a 'p' to your surname, simp"
I stuck out my tongue, teasing him.

"Tsk. Can't you at least acknowledge that I'm trying to help?"
He said in an annoyed voice.

"Too bad, simp"
I slapped his butt and ran away.

"You're gonna get it!"
Jake shouted, chasing after me.

Simp Jake is in no place to tell me how to confess to a girl.

Timeskip
(In class)

Daeun was sleeping in class. It was math class, so I get why.

The teacher passed down our homework that she finished marking and we were going to do some corrections.

I took my paper, together with Daeun's, and passed the rest behind. To make up for the prank, I guess I'll do her corrections for her.

I'll just let her nap for a bit. She has only a few anyway, she's smarter than me. It won't be so hard to toggle between the two papers.

I tried to write the corrections in neater handwriting so it's legible for her if she decides to revise. The handwriting in the letter to her was so ugly.

10 minutes later.

After the teacher went through everything, I smiled proudly as I looked at the neatly written equations on Daeun's paper.

Suddenly, someone kicked my chair. Jake. I turned my head.

"Acts of service huh"
He rested his chin on his palm, wiggling his brows.

I was about to tackle him, but I put a finger to my lips so he could shut up because Daeun was still sleeping.

The bell then rang but Daeun didn't wake up although everyone was already heading out.

"What are you waiting for?"
Jake swung his bag over a shoulder.

I pointed to Daeun. Jake got my signal so he left with the rest of the students.

I rest my cheek on my arm, looking at the sleeping beauty. I would quarrel because I had to do her corrections, but I can't get mad at you.

How?

Her eyes fluttered open and we made eye contact. She then faced away from me.

"Why did you turn?"
I asked.

"You're face is going to be the cause for my sore eyes"
She mumbled.

"WHAT?!"
My mouth was agape.

"I did your corrections while you were busy in lalaland"
I said, upset.

That caught her attention. She sat up and looked at the paper I passed to her. She scanned it with her eyes.

"Are you sure these are the right answers? Is this even your handwriting? This does not look the same as in your letter"
She said, feeling suspicious.

"It is! I wanted it to be neat for you"
I replied, trying to stay cool.

"Ohh thanks bro"
She patted me on the back.

"Okay sorry for the comment earlier. I'm gonna go now"
She put the paper in her bag and packed up.

She looked at me who was still frozen in place.

"What are you doing? Let's go"
Daeun carried her bag, waiting for me.

"Oh yea, sorry"
I grabbed my bag and we walked out of the class.

'Oh thanks bro'. Bro??*@!×!#*?;-&#÷