Chapter 12

Timeskip
(The next day, 7.15am)

Niki's pov

I walked into class and Jake was already seated. He was rather early today.

"Why would you bring that to school?"
I eyed the lamp on Jake's desk in the shape of a heart.

"It was in my locker. Another note here too"
He passed it to me to read.

Note: I hope this lightens up your day, handsome. You existing alone lightens up my life.
-D

I have a strange feeling that "D" is someone I know really well. And I'm afraid about the fact that this person is even a possibility.

"Any guesses to who it is?"
I asked, passing him back the note.

"Yes, but I think she likes someone else"
Jake ran a hand through his hair.

"How do you know?"
-Me

"I don't know, okay? It's just a sick joke"
He crushed the small note in his hand and threw it into the bin across the room.

What got into that guy?

I turned back around and saw Daeun right in time. She was about to walk past me and sit at the back. Too slow, I held her hand and gently pulled her to sit down at her original place.

"Don't move seats when you have a good one right next to me"
I squeeze her hand and then let go.

"Neneneene"
She mocked me.

I frowned at her and she broke out of character, smiling at my reaction. I look back to the front and the lesson starts again.

_____________________

3rd person's pov

Love sparks are flying around between Daeun and Niki. Both parties can feel it, whereas others can see it. Particularly, Jake.

Not being able to stand being alone yesterday, Jake went on to find Niki who ran off with Daeun.

He was walking down the hallways, checking the basketball court, and the cafeteria. No Niki.

He finally walked past the remote hallway and he saw something at the corner of his eye. He stopped and saw the kid with Daeun sitting on the table.

Jake observed them and his lips parted when Niki kissed the girl. He then ran towards the exit which caused Jake to hide in the empty classroom beside the art room.

He let go of the breath he was holding in and walked out. He then realised his stupidity when he bumped into Daeun. Her cheeks were a bright shade of pink.

Jake gives an awkward smile and scampers away, leaving Daeun dumbfounded.

Jake had a strong gut feeling that the gifts and notes had been from Daeun, but judging by what happened the previous day, he struggles to put the pieces together.

He shakes off the feeling and tries to take down notes in order to distract himself from the thought of her.

He wasn't developing feelings, was he?

_____________________

Timeskip
(After school)

Niki's pov

"Wanna hang at my house?"
Jake asked.

I nodded and we headed there. Alighting the bus, we decided to play some games when we arrive later.

He opened the door and I greeted his mom who was cooking in the kitchen. She offered to stay for an early dinner after Jake and I spent some time together.

I agree and go to Jake's room. We take a controller each and play a few rounds of fifa. We're basketballers, but surprisingly we both played soccer in elementary school.

Moving steadily, the ball hits the goal and I score a point. The second round starts and Jake steals the ball away, heading for the goal.

I come in and defend, but Jake distracts me with something I wasn't expecting.

"You know Daeun is the one sending me all those gifts right?"
Jake spoke.

I turned and looked at him with furrowed eyebrows. His eyes were still glued to the screen and he smiled when he scored the goal.

"What did you say?"
I put a hand on his shoulder.

"You heard me, Daeun is the one giving me gifts"
He chucked the controller aside and made eye contact with me.

"Why would she...why?"
I raised my voice slightly.

"What else, she likes me"
He scoffed, a smirk on his face.

"That can't be, how would you know if it's her or not?! You can't just assume"
I gripped his jacket unintentionally out of frustration.

"I'm not assuming. I saw her putting the gift in my locker this morning, she knows the password and all. That's why I was in class earlier than you"
Jake yanked my hand off himself.

"I won't believe you until I see it myself. Why the hell would Daeun like you anyway"
I mumbled the last few words to myself.

"Okay, come to school earlier tomorrow. I'll be keeping watch of my locker and you can see with your own two eyes, Niki"
Jake cracked his knuckles, holding his stare.

"Fine, I'll waste my time for your petty lie"
I stood up and left his room.

Daeun liking Jake? I think not.

"Mrs Sim, I'm leaving first. I'm so sorry I can't stay for dinner, I'm a little busy"
I told Jake's mom and she reassured me that it was okay before I left their house.

Daeun would never do that.

She's not that bold.

But hell, she has never left my mind ever since that day.

She's driving me insane.