Chapter 11

Timeskip
(Monday, 6am)

Daeun's pov

Just how am I gonna face Niki today??

Brushing my hair, I untangle the knots. However, I can't seem to untangle my thoughts.

I wasn't thinking straight when I left a kiss on his cheek. Niki is definitely gonna tease me about it...

After I lock the door behind me, I peek outside the gate to see if Niki was leaving. I cannot see his face this early in the morning.

The familiar figure walked out of his house and I hid behind the wall and waited for him to pass my house. I let a few minutes go by to make sure we don't get stuck at the same traffic light.

I creeped out of the gates and to my horror, behind the corner was the person I was dying to avoid. I could've sworn my heart rate shot up at the sight of him.

"Good morning"
Niki leaned against the wall.

I muttered back a greeting and walked past him. He has never waited to go to school together in the morning with me, so what's with the change of mind?

"Where are you going in a rush?"
Niki questioned.

"Yena texted me that she needed help with her homework"
I lied, head still facing forward.

"There wasn't any homework though?"
He said in confusion.

"Oh my bad, her tuition work. If you don't mind, I need to hurry because she needs it done by-"
I was about to cross the road when a car honked.

A hand yanked me back and my hands landed on Niki's chest.

"Can't you see the light turned red? Or are you just that short to the point it's out of your view?"
Niki looked down at me.

"I was just..careless"
I pushed him off me.

"And if I wasn't here to save you, I'd be greeting you at a hospital huh?"
Niki folded his arms.

"Why would you visit anyway?"
I turned away.

"Of course I will. I'll be the best remedy for your wounds"
He said proudly.

I side eyed him and safely crossed the road.

The rest of the walk, I avoided conversation and he kept quiet too. I immediately went to find Yena once we stepped into school.

That's when I remembered I forgot that I'm supposed to put her gift in Jake's locker...

I facepalmed. If I left earlier, I wouldn't have had to see Niki too right?

I sighed and went up to her, apologising about it.

"I'll let it slide just for today. Put it in his locker tomorrow, understand?"
She pointed a finger at me.

I nodded instantly. After a while, the teacher came in and I paused before walking back next to Niki. He won't mind if I change seats, right?

Luckily, there was an extra empty table at the back of the class so I decided to sit there temporarily.

Throughout the lesson, I couldn't pay attention well because I felt someone staring at me. I glanced up and my guess was right.

Niki immediately turned back, but his pen accidentally flew out of his hand onto the floor. He hastily picks it up and even from the back, I could see that his ears turned red.

I stifle a laugh at his clumsiness. We resume and the teacher makes a small announcement that our pe teacher was absent.

Everyone cheered as that means we get an extra free period together with recess. A whole hour to ourselves. The teacher left and we were free now.