4 |A Note To Remember

A/N: Enjoy!

Kai

I didn't even give him any response. I'm just exhausted. Physically, mentally, and especially socially. I can't... 

I dragged myself, as fast as my tired body could handle. 

"Hey, where are you going?" The necktie guy cries out. "Ok. I'll take care of the police, I guess. Be safe." 

His words echo in my head. I only walked and walked until I was in front of the loud mansion. Again.

I've had enough adventure for one night. The sound of deafening, unrefined music started to irritate me. I want to go home. But first, I need to say goodbye to Alicia. As I approach the mansion door, I can see people's silhouettes crowding the living room, using it as a dancefloor. Too many people. My claustrophobic instincts took over and with one huff, I started climbing the side of the house, reaching for the balcony.

I saw a glimpse of her. Happy. Dancing with her friends. My heart ached. More painful than my sore cheek. I didn't even know why she hung out with me. Maybe I'm just lucky. "A naive little girl who befriended a boy who didn't even talk back to her for months." She's even desperate enough to pass me a note, hoping I'll reply that way. I can only write one thing. "I'm sorry."

Loud laughter erupted from the inside and they cheered. "Congratulations to us! To future graduates!"

I sniffled as I cheered in my mind, raising an imaginary glass. "Congratulations."

Now I need a nap. I could just shoot Al a text. She'll be angry for sure but I can't interrupt her now. She doesn't need a downer. I peeked below me, taking a long sigh. "Time to climb down!"

I tried to call my driver but it just went straight to voicemail. The chilly air became thick and I couldn't stop my body from shivering. I waited near the streets, pacing back and forth, hoping for a reply as I rubbed my arms for heat. Just as I thought my day could get even worse, the same necktie guy from before pulled over. His black hair dances in the air as he bops his head to annoying hard-core music.

"Hey! Walk away, groom!" He looked at me with cute puppy eyes. "You just left me at the altar!" 

The guy turns his music down. Thank God! "Ok, I'll humor you. How did it go with the police?"

He leaned on the door of the car, smiling. "Don't worry, I took care of it, partner."

I sighed. "Ok. Cool. And no, we're not partners. It was merely a situation where we both could die in the same place."

The necktie guy fixes his sleeves as he clears his throat "No? We're basically partners in crime back there! And as your partner, I'll gladly take you home with my not-to-shabby convertible car." He smacks the wheel jokingly.

"No thank you. I don't go with strangers. Invite the girl you're with instead."

"Not even if I tempt you with candy?" He smiles.

Is he serious?

"Just to let you know, I'm feeling harassed right now by a stranger and I'll call the police if he doesn't drive away."

The guy's grin widened. "The name's Jamie. Now point to the stranger harassing you and I'll frighten them away for you!" He glanced around looking like an idiot before beaming at me.

He somehow made me break into a smile. I didn't expect to warm up this quickly to this total stranger. "You're really hopeless."

He winked at me with his dark brown eyes, I even mistakenly saw a sparkle. "Let me help you. I don't want you to catch a cold here. I'll even let you drive." He opens the door as he scoots over to the passenger seat.

"Ok. But I need a sense of security. I'm no match to a kung fu man like yourself." I pointed my camera at him and he posed like a fool, with his tongue sticking out, making a weird face.

"Feel free to use that handsome face as your phone's background!" He laughs.

"I'd rather die."

With one final photo of his plate number, I informed my parents and my preoccupied driver about my chaperone, sending all the deets along with Jamie's name and face. I hopped behind the wheel and I started the engine.

"It's taekwondo by the way. You know, the awesome move I did back there. I could teach you!"

"Nope. And please stop talking. I don't want to deal with you right now." I replied, hiding my smile. I started to drive.

"How about now?" He grins.

Ugh. He's such a chore. But... I kinda like it? I just shook my head, refusing to reply.

"Hey, snobber!" He taps my shoulder. I gave him a subtle glance and a camera flash blinded me.

"No! Don't distract the driver!" I yelled, elbowing him.

He just laughs, "Now I also have a cute background." I rolled my eyes at him as he gave me a wide smile.

The highway is void of any vehicle. There's no sound-- except for the full-volume metal music Jamie's been rocking to! Maybe I could lower his energy a little bit.

"You know I still don't have a driver's license, right?" I looked at him, restraining my laughter.

"It's okay!" He replied. "I'll just live now like there's no tomorrow!" Jamie stood from his seat as he screamed into the night. "WOOOOOO!!!