5.1 |Confession

A/N: This chapter contains a minor part with strong language. Reader discretion is advised.

Kai

I'm not really a fan of hardcore music but seeing Jamie enjoy himself, singing along even if I can't understand the words, made me have a little bit of respect for the genre. Just a little bit though. I parked outside the subdivision where my home was and waited for the music to end. I just leaned on the steering wheel while staring at Jamie, waiting for him to calm down. The song ends with one final cheer from him.

"Why did we stop?" He asked, still breathing heavily.

"This is me." I softly sigh.

"Awwww!" He frowns "But we're having fun! Right?"

I exited the car, giving him a sly smile. "Hmm... Yeah. It's not bad."

He whistles. "But dang! You live there? You're like, rich-rich!"

I shake my head subtly. "My parents are rich." Emphasizing the word parents.

Jamie seems to be a dependable listener but I stopped myself at the last minute before sharing more with-- an acquaintance.

He looked at me genuinely, waiting for something.

My voice breaks. "I don't know what to say."

Jamie waves his hand. "Totally fine."

An awkward silence washes over us.

"Umm. I'll be going now." I took a step backward. But before I could go, Jamie caught my attention.

"Hey, hotshot! Take care. Ok?" He started his car before winking at me. "See ya!"

We both waved goodbye to each other. I can't help but reminisce about that short moment of comfort with him.

I guess having someone to talk to other than Alicia isn't that bad. Sigh* What am I even thinking. I'm just making a big deal out of this, to his probably "just a normal Friday."

Before I could even get inside, my phone rang with many messages from my family. They have different words but all ended up with the phrase, "I'm sorry." I should never expect things to be different.

I opened the door to my house where my father's screams echoed from the dining room. Before they could see me, I immediately covered my bruised cheek with my hand.

"Oh great you're back! Come." My mother ushered me to sit down with them. "Can you please stop yelling? Respect the food in front of you." She shushes my father. "We can eat first. Oh, and keep the phone."

My father massages his temple. "I'm sorry. It's just-- I can't fail tomorrow! 'We' can't fail." He sighs. "Speaking of failure..." My father gave me a glance. "How's school?"

"Honey! Really?" My mother stared at him sharply.

"It just ended today," I replied, playing with my food.

"And?" He asked.

My mother screeches. "Oh for goodness sake, let the boy eat!"

My father shrugs. "What? I'm just asking a question. Well, at least you'll graduate. Now you can take part in the family business and you can finally earn your keep."

Yep. Same as every fucking night. My mother kept gripping the utensils as if it were my father's neck. My dad's really lucky, or he's just that smart. He always does this during dinner which kudos to him, it's preventing my mother from doing rash things.

She exhausted a really long and loud sigh. "Anyway, sweetie... How's the party?" She asked me with enthusiasm. I started to feel disappointed in them for not responding to my calls. But then, I remembered my time with Jamie and I involuntarily smirked. "It's fine." Mom started to straighten up confidently.

"A party? That's good. You'll gain confidence there. Great for the business."

Mom cut Father off. "Ignore that buffoon! Tell me more!"

I don't know why but I suddenly beam at them for the first time in a long time. "Well, I had another hyperventilation in the first 30 minutes. (I intentionally dropped the hand that's covering my bruise.) I tag team with someone in a fight." My mom gasps audibly, carefully holding my face while inspecting my blue cheek. "Oh my gosh! You did not!"

"Hah!" My father excitedly leaped from his seat. "Did you win son?!" I nodded my head with excitement.

Well, thanks to Jamie. But who's noting points?

My mom immediately rushed to the fridge, getting a handful of ice. "Hon! Don't tolerate that behavior!"

"Don't listen to your mother. You won! Be proud!" He patted me on the shoulder as my mom ransacked the fridge.

"Thanks, Dad."

My mom finally scrubs the ice on my cheek, intentionally harder. "I thought you'd have fun there not--"

"I had fun! Even with all the craziness that happened, I enjoyed it. And I'm happy. As happy as when I played my first song in front of you."

Silence engulfed the room. I shouldn't have said that. Kai, you dummy.

My dad left the dinner table without saying a word while shaking his head. My mom's hand ran through my hair with a sad look, whispering, "I'm glad."

I looked at my father behind the glass slide door leading outside. His voice is muffled but then again he's screaming on the phone. We were bonding just now, yet it is still that easy to upset him. I guess we're still not past that incident.

I dragged myself up to my room, locking it behind me. Putting my back against the door gave me some kind of comfort while I pulled out my phone. I just need someone to talk to right now. I can't bottle this up anymore... My fingers hovered on my screen, contemplating to shoot Al a text. I closed my eyes, imagining her beautiful smile as she finally got to enjoy life without me. I'm just a leech sucking out the joy in her life. No. I can't. I scrolled through my phone. Hoping to find my very first recital but instead, I stumbled upon Jamie's photo, letting out an involuntarily loud giggle.

I thought about it for a long time. But now, I have my reasons to create a Facebook account. With all that tiring process of filling out my information, I finally have it! I'm kinda excited but mostly nervous. I immediately typed "Jamie" in the search bar and I was overwhelmed with hundreds, if not thousands of Jamie. There's a dog profile, a fish in a wire, and a hand! A fucking hand! I feel defeated. Why didn't I ask for his last name?!

Feeling defeated, I just scrolled down some more as I let out a shaky breath. Now where the hell is that goddamn recital. A soothing music pierces my eardrums, calming me down with a serene feeling. It's little old me, playing the violin without a care in the world. He just closed his eyes, feeling the music bathing him with everything good. Butterflies swarmed his belly as he smiled, never letting anyone disturb him.

A tear ran on my cheek as I embraced my phone with the music still playing.

Then, my mother suddenly pounded on the door. "I'm coming in!" I quickly got up to my feet and she bursts in, a paper and a door key in hand. Her eyes are teary like she's been listening behind the door. She threw the paper in my bed. "You're going to Paris."

"Huh?"

***************

A/N: This next part is just a preview. What do you think will happen next?

"I just wanted to tell you this before I leave." I held Alicia's hand in mine. I tried my best not to stutter, taking deep breaths and easing the next words I was about to say.

Alicia tilted her head. "What is it? What's with the serious face?"

"I like you. No... I-I love you!"