eight

Renata saw in Peter what others didn't.

Others saw a scared boy, who hid behind the Marauders and wasn't his own person. He was a ghost of sorts, all because he didn't share the same looks as the other boys.

When others thought of the Marauders, they thought of the three hot boys, Remus, Sirius and James. Never Peter. Only because he didn't have the features that people class as attractive.

But to Renata, he was so much more...

He was smart, he was kind, he was gentle. She also knew he was easily manipulated, she knew that there was always a chance of people going bad, but she knew she could help Peter.

She could save him.

He was currently sat in the greenhouse, attending to some of the many plants he volunteered to look after when needed.

Opening the door made him jump a little, letting out a little squeak and turn around, his hands clutching onto the watering can in his hands for dear life.

"Sorry, sorry." She apologised, putting her hands up in a show of peace.

Peter let out a breath of relief, placing the watering can down on the wooden shelving unit next to him.

"It's okay... what's wrong?" He sent her a questioning look.

She smiled softly at him. "I just wanted to talk to you."

"Oh... okay!" He waved his hands around in an act of excitement, going to move some stuff that was on top of two chairs, before Renata stopped him.

"Here, I'll do it." She moved the last few things on the chair before sitting down and making herself comfortable.

Peter glanced at her, confused because he usually had to do most things himself.

Eventually taking a seat, he waited patiently for his friend to start talking, a smile plastered on his face, his hands moving excitedly in little movements.

"How are you?"

Peter was surprised but paid the feeling no mind, being quick to answer.

"I'm alright... are you?"

She nodded, her smile growing slightly. "Yeah- yeah I'm good."

He smiled and let out a breath of relief at knowing his friend was okay, having been slightly worried that she was coming to him with sad news.

"Pete, I wanted you to know that it's okay to be your own person."

He furrowed his brows, confused. "What do you mean Nat?"

Smiling at the nickname briefly she spoke up once more.

"I just mean, I know you tend to rely on the other guys a lot and I wanted you to know that it's okay to be you."

"You don't need them to be a person. They aren't your personality and they certainly aren't you."

Peter was shocked, he wasn't quite expecting her to talk about this but he had to say it was making his confidence spike.

"You don't need them to do everything for you. They are your friends, but they aren't going to be there forever, you need to be able to do things for yourself."

"I know you are capable of doing so because I know you. I believe in you."

"You are so much more than just the Marauders fourth member. You are smart, you are kind, you are strong in different ways, you know more about plants than anyone in our year."

She took a deep breath in before starting again.

"I also know that you are trying to become an Auror, but I know it's not what you want to do. For years you have talked about being a Herbologist, you just want to become an Auror because the others want to."

"But Pete" Renata placed her hand over his. "-You don't have to do things because others are, you are Peter Pettigrew, and you want to become a Herbologist. There is nothing wrong with wanting to do something different than the others. It doesn't make you any less cool, it doesn't make anyone like you any less, and if they do, they aren't your real friends. They aren't worth thinking about because you don't need them."

Peter smiled, tears falling down his cheeks. This is what he needed.

He needed someone to tell him that he was more than what he thought he was.

He loved Renata.

He pounced toward her and wrapped in a massive hug, one that she took happily.

Pete's hugs were the best.