Chapter 1: Come Home

13th February 2006

It was 3pm, and I had just woken up. 

What a magical morning.

I turned to my side table, next to my bed, to grab my phone. Only to see a bunch of missed calls from an unknown number and my mum.

"why the fuck is that old hag calling me?" I mumbled. 

A little background information. I have a twin brother called Gustav, who lives with my mum in Germany. Then there is me, Y/n, and I live with my dad in England. When me and Gustav where 4 They got a divorce. Because I live in England I don't know much German, manly swear words. Whereas Gustav is fluent in German and knows quite a lot of English, I think he's pretty good but he said 'my English isn't yellow from the egg' and when he says a sentence like that I kind of have to believe him. The reason Gustav knows English too is, one because our mum speaks it quite often but, two our step dad is English. I guess the old hag has a type. Every summer I go to stay in Germany for a couple weeks and Gustav goes to England, but not at the same time so we can see each other too. While I've been living with my dad he's been saying some pretty bad things about my mum causing me not to like her too much but I only see her once a year so it doesn't really matter. Back to the story.

I called my mum back and she answered right away but sounding quite panicked  "Hey honey, don't worry, please don't worry okay"

What the hell? 

"Worry about what?"

"Do you not know what's going on?" she said sort of confused as to why I'm confused.

"No, mum you're scary me, what's happened?"

I suddenly have a weird feeling in my stomach. 

Must be hungry.

"I'm coming down for a few days, I'm leaving now"

Why isn't she telling me what's going on?

"Why the hell would you do that, dad's probably going to throw up at the sight of you" I laughed a bit.

"Honey... honey"

"...How he thrills me?"

I'm starting to actually get worried.

"Your da- He's in the hospital."

"Don't tell me it's another diabetes scare. I told him no more fucking sneaking into the kitchen in KFC and drinking all the gravy"

"No honey, um, he-" she said in a way to be cautious of my feelings.

uh oh

"He passed in a car accident"

Everything went numb. My vision slowly sank in and I had no idea what was real and what was fake anymore. I sat in silence for I'm not sure how long. I could slightly hear my mum talking to me through my phone but it was hard to make out what she was saying as it was blocked by a high pitch buzzing. (Not sure why Barry Benson thought it was a good time to pop over). I didn't know what I was thinking, I didn't know what I was feeling. It was as though I died and was put into spectator mode, like I wasn't in first person anymore.  

I had eventually come back to consciousness and I hung up the phone and flung it to the other side of my bedroom. I felt streams of tears and sweat rolling down my face. It was as if I was, what I can only describe as, melting. I buried myself under my duvet and just kept saying to myself "This isn't real". Until I heard someone twist my doorknob. I burst from under my covers in hope that it was my dad, but no, It's my mum.                                                                                                   "Wait- wai- wha- what- what are you- how did you- when-" I couldn't make out any full sentences. I think my brain as been put in a blender.