seventeen

| Z+1 — THE SCHOOL'S ROOFTOP |

The students of Hyosan High watched as the soldiers rappelled down the roof, making an entry into the school.

Daesu and Joonyeong neared the lone soldier by the rappelling gear, trying to figure out what in the world they were trying to achieve by entering the zombie-infested school.

"Hey," Daesu called out to his friend. "They plan to kill all the zombies before they take us, right?"

Joonyeong shrugged. "I doubt that. There are only four of them," he responded.

"Isn't Special Mission the best?"

"They are looking for something, I think." Joonyeong was skeptical. "Isn't the science lab that way?"

The two returned to their friends, stating the observation they made to the others.

"What could they possibly be looking for in the science lab?" Wujin asked. "What even is in there?"

Namra closed her eyes, trying to single out the sound of the voices coming from the earpiece of the soldier a couple of feet away from them.

Do you have the package? Target has not yet been obtained. Decrypting device. Decryption complete. Heading out.

"They are decrypting some device," Namra said, repeating what she heard. "That is their target. That device."

Hyoryung raised her brows, mouth agape. "How can a laptop be more important than saving children from an apocalypse?!" She exclaimed.

"That laptop probably has information more important than us," Gyeongsu stated.

As the teenagers chatted amongst themselves, the other soldiers returned to the rooftop, taking their positions.

"Come to the pickup position. Over," the soldier announced. "Master Sergeant. Go up first."

"We'll pull you up one at a time," another soldier explained. "Stay still, even if you're scared. Okay?"

"Aren't you landing the chopper?"

"We can't for safety reasons. He'll pull you in, so don't worry."

The students nodded, waiting patiently for the soldiers to tell them what to do.

Jimin was the first to leave, getting pushed forward by her friends to be the first one of them to get in the chopper.

The teenagers cheered happily as they watched their friend get carried away. It wasn't long before Hyoryung followed suit, wearing the gear for the ascent.

Just when they thought they were saved, Soojin gripped onto Junghwan's hand, overhearing a conversation that was happening over the earpiece.

Don't rescue anyone. We just discovered an asymptomatic infected person.

"They found an asymptomatic person at the camp," she muttered loud enough for her boyfriend to hear. "They are telling the soldiers not to rescue us."

"Asymptomatic?" Namra repeated. "Is that someone who is like me?"

"Like us," Soojin corrected. "Someone like us."

All our agents will be in danger if one turns in the chopper. Open fire if they resist.

Namra pulled Suhyeok back, having heard the orders over the earpiece. "He's ordering them to shoot us if we resist," she stated.

"Operation canceled!" The soldier announced. "We'll take only the package and pull out!"