Two

Damira

I walk into the elevator and soon arrive in front of the dinning room. The lady inspects my clothes one last time before giving a nod. "One word of advice, be careful when everyone is dressed, watch your mouth around the men." 

What? What does she mean? But before I can say anything Lucia walks over. She's also in a black dress but with a sweetheart neckline and floor length with black heels and gold accents. 

"We have a few guest tonight, now I hope you mind your manners." I nod once, not sure why there's guests tonight. Not to make this about me but it seems weird. 

"Everyone, please welcome Damira Moretti." Moretti, the last name of Lucia and Riccardo. 

There are 3 men I haven't seen before in black suits. 3 ladies, probably wives in matching black dresses. Then there are 6 younger people, who all seem around my age, older, younger. 

"Damira, these are my business partners, their wives, and children. Their last names are each, Amato, Fontana, Conti." Riccardo nods at me to take a seat next to Lorenzo even though I don't want to. 

Except that's the only seat available. Lorenzo rolls his eyes at me. "Hey! Nice to meet you, I'm Giada Amato, and this is my brother Luca. I'm 15 years old." She shoves her brother, making him talk. 

"Luca Amato, 16." He goes back to eating his appetizer. 

Next a boy talks. "Angelo Conti, 17 same age as your brother." 

I slightly smirk. "He's not my brother, at least he doesn't act like it." Silence, until another boy starts laughing. 

"Man, she got you good Enzo. Hi, Dante Fontana, also 17 and that's my sister." He shoves a glass of water to a really pretty girl with blonde hair and blue eyes whos texting someone. 

"Dad! Dante's bothering me again." She looks up from her phone and her eyes land on me. "Andrea, Fontana, 14. Your really pretty, blend right in." 

"Thank you." I know it's an insult, being adopted and all. But I can already feel the tension. Between all of them, there's a kind of tension, making each of them watch each other. 

"And I'm Ginevra Conti, 15 and my twin brother's not here today because of some boxing match." The main course arrives and we start eating. 

"Well, it's nice to meet you, all of you." Lorenzo scoffs next to me. Too quietly so that no one else can hear. "Is it so upsetting that you have a sister?" His face suddenly turns colder then expected. 

"I lost the only sister I had the day she was kidnapped. You. Are. Nothing." I look up, everyone is looking at us. He said loudly, very loudly. 

He looks to Riccardo. "What everyone here thinks it. She" he points to me, "is nothing compared to what Luciana would have been. Stop looking at me that way, you're just brought here to try and fill her shoes after all these years." 

Riccardo stands up and grabs his son by the arm, pulling him out and into a set of wooden doors that I was forbidden to go through. The whole table is silent until someone who I never expected pulls my hand, taking me out of the room into a corridor. 

Andrea

"Look, you're probably shocked. But listen, there was a little baby girl born to this family when Lorenzo was 2 years old, but on her 1st birthday she was kidnapped. And although everyone tried everything no one could find her." 

"Lorenzo still blames himself, because he left her alone in her room right before the birthday party. And I'm not saying he's not an asshole but I think you can try understanding him a little more, no offense at all."