Chapter 9

Michelle's POV

Discovering that Rhian's initial motivation for joining the company was her romantic interest in me left me feeling a mixture of surprise and discomfort. It was a revelation that added an entirely new layer to our professional dynamic. 

And honestly, nakakapanibago siya these past few days. Iniiwasan nya ko madalas at di na nga sya nag-gogood morning like usual. Tsk malamang nagdadrama lang yun, feeling important.

Akala nya siguro hahabulin ko siya, eng eng nya. She really thought I'd fall for that trap? Tsk. Of course she's not in love with me. Malamang sinabi nya lang yun para--paraaaa...Para san nga ba?

Ay basta! Di parin ako naniniwala na gusto nya ko, hanggang sa isang hapon. Papasok na sana ako ng office ni Dad to ask him something about the project that I'm currently working on nang marinig ko ang boses ng babaeng yun.

"Tito, ayoko na. Give up nakooo." I heard Rhian say.

"Ganun ganun lang yun? Come on Rhian, you're better than that. I'm sure--"

"I'm resigning and that's final. Napakahirap na ho kasing mahalin ang anak nyo. I know what you're up to Tito, hindi naman ako tanga. Tsk trying to set me up with Michelle by sending us in the mountains and stuff just so she could get involved with me romantically so you can still keep me in this company, make me the CEO where she could be in the background, that's sick. Tito she hates me. No, she despise me. And I hate to be the reason why she doesn't feel worthy or good enough!. So yes! I'm quitting and there's no way you can stop me!." Sabi ni Rhian.

When I heard her walking towards the door dali dali akong tumakbo palayo at nagtago. Tuloy tuloy lang syang naglakad hanggang sa makalabas na siya ng building. So, turns out seryoso nga talaga siya.

But the fact that my father had been aware of this from the very beginning only deepened my sense of unease.

As I sat at my desk, mulling over this newfound knowledge, I couldn't help but question Rhian's intentions. Did she genuinely care about the company and its success, or had her involvement been driven solely by her feelings for me? The thought of being a factor in her decision to join the company was both flattering and concerning.

My father's knowledge of Rhian's feelings brought about a whirlwind of emotions. Had he supported her not just for her skills, but also because he hoped that her presence might lead to a romantic connection between us? It was a thought that made me feel both touched and uncomfortable, as though my professional abilities were somehow tied to my personal relationships.

But I won't deny that I somehow felt bad for her. I mean I should be happy kasi ilang beses kong hiniling na umalis na siya rito at tantanan nya nako pero sa mga sumunod na araw nakaramdam ako ng kulang.

Everytime na dumadaan ako sa hallway na madalas nyang daanan noon ay parang bigla nalang akong nalulungkot. Even some of our coworkers were sad.

OFFICE CAFETERIA

Kasama ko ngayong kumakain si Franki for our lunch break.

"Grabe, di talaga ako makapaniwala na wala na talaga si Miss Rhian." Sabi ni Franki.

"Don't say it as if she's dead." Sabi ko.

"S-sorry. I can't help it kasi. Nakakamiss rin pala siya." Sabi ni Franki.

"Para naman kayong close for you to say that." Sabi ko.

"Well, kahit na minsan parang sasaksakin nya nako sa tuwing nakikita nyang magkasama tayo, okay naman siya when it comes to work. She assists me pag nakikita nyang medyo nahihirapan ako. Inabutan nya ko ng gamot nung minsang masama ang pakiramdam ko, she even allowed me to rest in her office." Sabi ni Franki.

"T-teka, parang di ko alam to. Anyways, enough about her. Lahat nalang ba ng tao sa building nato siya yung pinag-uusapan? I mean come on guys, andito pa naman ako." Sabi ko.

"We both know--"

"I know. I will never be as good enough as her." Sabi ko.

"No, that's not what I meant." 

"Eh ano?."

"In my previous job, things were great – minimal effort and decent pay. However, being in this building and getting to know her has motivated me to make a more meaningful contribution to the community. Desk jobs can sometimes feel monotonous and repetitive, yet Miss Rhian stands out as a beacon of optimism. She's the driving force behind my faith in the goodness of people. So, can you blame all of these people like me to want her back in this company?." she sincerely said.

Tsk who am I kidding? Franki is right. But what can I do? Rhian already resigned, and it's all my fault. I treated her like trash. I really am a monster after all. 

10 PM

I rang her unit doorbell 4 times before she opened the door, and let's just say--

"What are you doing here? Tsk. Kung andito ka to remind me to never come back and ruin your life then I think you should--" 

"Have never left." I finished.

SILENCE

"Look, I get it. You don't like me like that, and you hate me for stealing everything you think you deserve. Kaya umalis nako. You're welcome." She sarcastically said.

"I know I should be happy that you left. Wala nang mangungulit at bibwisit sakin araw-araw by greeting me every morning with their annoying smile, following me wherever I go, outperforming me in everything. And hey, please don't romanticize this but maybe I could live with that after all. To make things short, the company needs you Rhian. I need you." I sincerely said.

DEAFENING SILENCE

"Please come back. Come back home. Let's bring this family back together." I finally said with my voice about to crack.