Chapter III

Buttercup flew high up over the desert, her scales almost invisible. Her shadow rippled across the sand, unnoticed by SandWing guards protecting the stronghold. On Buttercup's wrist was a bracelet. One crafted out of the shiniest moonstone.

Gingko narrowed her eyes as she stared at the crystal ball. She didn't remember seeing that bracelet before. It seemed suspicious. She tried to grab the orb to see better, but accidentally turned it off. Gingko sighed. She was so bored.

An idea popped into her head. She was the most powerful dragon in Pyhrria, Why should she stay in this boring old tree hut? She could go explore. She started to unfurl her wings, then abruptly stopped.

What about her mother? Buttercup would be so worried when she found her daughter missing. She would tear the world apart to find her. Another thought pushed her worries away. News of a mutant dragon would travel quickly, Gingko decided. It won't take long for Mother to find me.

With that, the three year-old dragonet flapped her wings and took off into the sky. It was sun time, so no RainWing noticed her at all, but she turned invisible just in case. She flew up high, then stopped and hovered. Where should she go? 

She closed her eyes and recalled from her memory a map of Pyrrhia. The Ice Kingdom, Kingdom of the Sea... Gingko's eyes shot open. That's it! she thought. The ocean! She had never gone to the sea, and she longed to see if the sea was as actually as salty as every dragon says. Plus,  Gingko always wanted to meet all the tribes, and this was an excellent chance to meet some SeaWings!

Gingko spun in the air. The rainforest was directly below her, so that meant... She racked her brain. To the east! She flew off.

After many hours and aching wings, she finally spotted a beach, Gingko was so tired she practically fell out of the sky in relief. She landed and soaked in all the sunshine. It was so warm. Gingko had never felt such paradise. The sun and her exhaustion combined, and she gave away. She fell asleep on the beach!

"I think she's dead."

An aggressive male voice woke Gingko up from her nap. Startled, she immediately blinked open her eyes. Six SeaWing guards surrounded her, spears sharp and shining with sea glass. One small green SeaWing, notably a dragonet, bounced up and down. "See, Mother, see!" he exclaimed, pointing at Gingko. "I told you she wasn't dead!" 

"Quiet, Trench." A big, female, aquamarine SeaWing stepped forward. Loops of pearls were strung on her neck and a tiara crafted out of sapphires rested on her head. "Queen Axolotl," Gingko breathed, terrified.

Queen Axolotl turned her head to a dark, navy blue SeaWing guard. "Bermuda, what is this... creature

Gingko bristled. She was not a creature, she was a very honorable dragonet! She lashed her tail and hissed at the queen. 

The queen stared at her with cold blue eyes. After a moment, she turned to her guards. 

"Get her."

The six SeaWings leapt for her all at once. Frightened and angry, Gingko turned invisible and dove into the water. It was only later did she realize how great of a mistake that was. SeaWings, it turned out, can swim faster than sharks. They couldn't see her, but they could see the splashes and ripples that she made. They caught her in two minutes.

As Gingko was dragged back onto the beach, she caught a glimpse of Queen Axolotl's cruel smile. Rage burned inside her and she longed to stab her with her tail, but she couldn't move. All she could do was scowl as she was taken away to prison.